5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 5:22 AM by Steve Grisetti

How can I make Adobe Premiere Elements 9 run faster on my computer?

Bill Weiner

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running windows vista 32 bit, and recently adobe premiere elements 9 has been having really rough playback, meaning it will often freeze or skip many frames when I try to watch what I have edited. It also stops responding very often. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: How can I make Adobe Premiere Elements 9 run faster on my computer?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, your computer is pretty low-end for editing with Premiere Elements 9. (The online specs say it's a dual-core Pentium laptop.) You might be in pretty good condition for editing miniDV tape-based video, but that's about it.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? If you're editing hi-def video -- particularly if it's AVCHD hard drive-based hi-def -- you just really haven't got enough horsepower to do the job. Sorry.

On the other hand, ensuring that your project is set up properly can help. If you've selected the correct project settings for your video, your clips should appear on your timeline with no red lines above them until you add effects to them. Is that the case? If not, try setting up a project with the appropriate specs for your source video.

Once you've added effects, render whenever you see a red line above your clips  (press Enter). When the red line turns green, your performance should improve.

However, if your video project is set up properly and you still aren't getting good performance, it's simply a matter of needing a more powerful computer.

• 2. Re: How can I make Adobe Premiere Elements 9 run faster on my computer?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's tips, you might be able to extract a bit more performance from your laptop, with tips in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How can I make Adobe Premiere Elements 9 run faster on my computer?
              Bill Weiner Level 1

My camcorder is the samsung hmx h100 and I'm using it on the standard

definition video setting. Also, do you know if updating or upgrading my

graphics card would help at all? Thanks

• 4. Re: How can I make Adobe Premiere Elements 9 run faster on my computer?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Almost any graphics adapter will do fine in PE9... it is not until you get to Premiere Pro that the graphics card makes a difference

If you only have the usual one hard drive of a laptop, a 2nd drive will help

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
                You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
                I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
                Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for video editing
                Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
                A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
                http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 5. Re: How can I make Adobe Premiere Elements 9 run faster on my computer?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunatetly, that camcorder is a hard drive standard definition camcorder -- one of the least efficient video cams on the market -- so it continually requires rendering.

First, ensure that, whenever you start a new project, you go to Change Settings and select the settings for a Hard Disk/Flash Drive Camcorder (Standard). If you don't do this, you're going to have some fluttering problems later with your video.

After that, you're just going to have to render whenever you see a red line above your clips on your timeline. (Press Enter. The red line will turn green when the program renders it.) Which means any time you add a clip to your movie or any time you add an effect. That will help keep things running well.

Other than buying a new, faster computer, that's about the only way to work with video from this cam with any efficiency. Sorry.