8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2011 6:11 PM by msp1518

Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage

msp1518 Level 1

I've read and re-read and re-re-read information on this more times than I can count. But I am no closer to getting it right.

My setup has the C drive, an SSD where I have my OS and programs.

I have a D drive that is a RAID 0 consisting of two 7200rpm Samsungs.

Then I have my E drive, which is a mirror consisting of two Samsung 1TB drives.

And then I have the external eSATA cased Samsung 7200rpm, where I have my raw data, original video footage, sound recordings, etc, for a few different projects. I typically back this up to my external backup server whenever I place new stuff onto the drive.

I'm about to ask some very dumb and basic questions, but I need to in order to get this right.

When setting up a new project, PremPro in CS5 opens up and under the GENERAL tab I have Location at the bottom. What is that for? What exactly am I going to do with that specific directory and where should it be located? What goes in there?

The other tab is Scratch Disks.

I am just beyond confused about what is Captured Video vs Video Previews and which goes onto what drive and why.

Can someone clarify this thing for me so that I understand because I just don't get it and I have read the FAQs and multuple video tutorials.

I would like to work off of my D drive (RAID 0) and E drive (RAID 1), or my D drive (RAID 0) and External drive (frequenrtly backed up).

Not all three at the same time for one project if I can avoid it.

Very sorry for some basic stupid questions, but I have multiple project set up multiple ways and I am absolutely certain they are all wrong, which would explain why I am not getting good performance at times.

• 1. Re: Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage
          Harm Millaard Level 7

C: SSD for OS & programs, OK.

D: Raid0, your fastest drive

E: Raid1, not very fast in comparison to D: but comparable to F:

F: External eSATA, about as fast as E:. For media, OK.

Put your pagefile, media cache and previews on D and use E: for projects and exports and F: for your source media.

The files that are small, change often and accessed regularly are then on your fastest disk and can easily be rebuild if disaster strikes. Your projects and exports are safeguarded by the raid1 with its mirroring and your source material is backed up anyway. In this way you distribute the load across all your drives and get the best performance with the least risk of losing precious data.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage
            msp1518 Level 1

Harm, that is a helpful response, but I still need clarification here so that I fully understand what I am doing.

My system Page File is on my RAID 0 so I have that right. At least I think I do.

When I start the project and set it up, I still do not understand what LOCATION means at the bottom of that tab. Location of what exactly? What is going there? Does that belong on the D drive (my RAID 0) or my E drive (Mirror RAID)? The problem is I do not know what CS5 is putting in that directory.

So Captured Video and Audio is the actual filmed and recorded footage I shot and will edit from, is that right? And that stays where it is now, on my External eSATA 7200rpm drive?

Video and Audio Previews go on my RAID 0 (Scratch) drive and are the files created by Adobe PremPro in the editing process, correct? Do I understand that right?

What then do I place on my E drive, the Mirrored RAID? Is that the Setup under General Tab, LOCATION?

I need specific instruction based upon the actual setup screen or I will get lost. I am dyslexic, so without absolute precision I just get all screwed up. Sorry.

Again, I am very sorry to sound so stupid and uneducated, but if I am unclear, I will end up doing this wrong. Time is waisting as I sit here without a clue how to start.

• 3. Re: Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Location means the location of your project file, which would be on your E: drive. Just make sure that in your project settings, you set your media cache and previews to D:.

• 4. Re: Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage
                msp1518 Level 1

Harm, what is confusing me here is when you answer, you are using terms not used in that setup screen on Premiere Pro. So I still don'tunderstand.

What are you refering to when you say Media Cache?

I am sorry if I am trying  your patience, but as I said, I need to know the answers based upon what I see in Premiere pro and the setup screen. Nowhere is their Cache listed.

On the first screen, NEW PROJECT, GENERAL, LOCATION.... What am I putting there? Yes, that is the Project File, but what does that mean? Am I putting my Video and Audio in there? I mean the actual raw footage we shot on the set. Is that what goes in there? Or does that go somewhere else?

Or is LOCATION where PremPro will put all the files it creates?

Then you have the second screen. I wrote yellow txt in there.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5519/projectwv.jpg

My three drives...

D = RAID 0

E = MIRRORED RAID

I = EXTERNAL eSATA

Above are the two screens you see when you create a new project. Please base your answer to me upon what you see here because until then I will not get it. This was my week off and I was to start edting on Monday. It's now Thursday and I haven't edited a second because I cannot get the thing set up right. I am beyond frustrated and ready to throw up my hands and just pay someone to do it, even though I can't afford it.

I built this computer. It wasn't hard. But setting up the project in CS5 has proven impossible for me. Being Dyslexic I struggle mightly when reading instructions. I will copy and paste search terms in the browser, looking for answers and everyone keeps using terms NOT LISTED ON THOSE SCREENS. So I am screwed.

• 5. Re: Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Location of the project file is correct on E:

The four marked fields on your second screenshot should be set to I, I, D and D respectively.

9-6-2011 17-24-32.png

The Media Cache should be set from Edit/Preferences/Media to point to D:

9-6-2011 17-24-11.png

• 6. Re: Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage
                    msp1518 Level 1

One of the two pics above isn't loading.

Okay, so I have the Captured Video, the original footage I shot on-set, on my eSATA drive. Drive I. I leave it there, or can have it on my E drive, as some are for other projects I shot.

Correct?

Video Previews are the files Premiere Pro creates as I edit and I need to have those on my RAID 0, drive D, since it is the fastest. Correct?

If I am correct on above then I finally get it. If not, please shoot me.

• 8. Re: Continued confusion about where to put Scratch vs Preview vs storage
                      msp1518 Level 1

Many thanks. I am now rocking and rolling. Spent al lday editing. My @ss is killing me.