10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 12:50 PM by Muppet Mark-QAl63s

How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?

Dweck

About two weeks ago I attempted to use a curves preset (CS5 up to date) and discovered that the choices had disappeared and all I was left with was default and custom.I found that this applied to all other presets. 6 hours on the phone with Adobe tech support has yielded no solutions. They had me deinstall and reinstall the program - TWICE - along with the preferences and that did not work. The problem exists with both my CS4 and CS5 versions - on my desktop computer only. Whatever is causing the problem does not affect the presets in Lightroom 3.

I also noticed that my automate functions - like photo merge and script functions like image processor are not working either. When I try to use them I get a dialogue box that reads: JavaScript code was missing. I suggested this might be the problem to Adobe Tech Support and they offered no help. Trying to get to a senior level tech has also been fruitless.

I called Apple. Since the issue is either a CS5 or JavaScript issue. No help there.

I looked into CS5 and found a javascript debug for CS5, I tried running that, but I really don't know how to deal with it. It didn't work either. If someone can get me off this treadmill, I would be ever thankful. If you can respond to my email after posting the answer here for others to absorb, that would be great.

Aboud Dweck

dweckphoto@gmail.com

• 1. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Depends what OS and version of Photoshop your using;

For example Wondows XP Professional anh Photoshop CS5 32 bit version curves presets are in two places and are *.acv files

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Curves" Defaults for all

"C:\Documents and Settings\Your User ID\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Curves" your saved presets.

Make sure you have the nine default preset. Search for *.acv if you cant find the. You can get the from your system backup...

Scripts default install tre is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Scripts"

Photomerge is a script "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Scripts\Photomerge.jsx"

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets\Scripts\Image Processor.jsx"

• 2. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
            Dweck Level 1

Thanks for your answer but I am working with Mac OSX 10.6.7. All of my software is up to date. Do you have any other idea?

• 3. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
              xbytor2 Level 4

Use Finder to browser to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5.

Look into the Presets folder. There should be 30 subfolders ranging

from Actions to Zoomify including Curves and Scripts.

Look into the Presets/Curves folder. There should be 9 items.

Look into the Presets/Scripts folder. There should be around 20 items

or so.

If you are not seeing the above, you have a busted installation. How it

is getting busted is a mystery to me. If you are running multiple versions

of PS, uninstall all versions before trying a reinstall. I'm having slight issues

with PSCS5.5 and PSCS5 on the same system which is causing me

occasional confusion.

BTW, this is definitely not a Scripting problem. You should definitely be in

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_macintosh

• 4. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
                Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

I have seen this 'Javascript missing' before several times… Google is your friend for these issues… I don't know it this helps but worth a look at…

http://www.tembeling.com/blog/2011/01/javascript-code-was-missing/

• 5. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
                  Dweck Level 1

Hi,

Everything you mentioned is in place. I talked to Adobe again this morning.

They think it is a communications problem that is keeping the javascript

from working as well as the presets. They are having me take a bunch of

screen shots and they are going to provide them to their senior engineers.

My guess is that something went funky went I installed some demo versions of

Nik software. All of that program and all the preferences to them have been

removed as well. Still, no progress. I'll try that other forum as well.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Aboud

• 6. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
                    Dweck Level 1

Solution found.

It seems the problem stemmed from my renaming my hard drives a few weeks ago as I was reorganizing my data. I named my primary drive Apps/Data ...

Adobe had put out this advisory a few months ago. When I asked the senior support tech why no one down the line, in the seven hours I spent talking to support knew about this, he said it was because most people do not rename their hard drive. There are 4 solutions offered, it was the very first one that solved the problem.

Errors occur when using scripts such as Merge to HDR Pro and Image Processor | Bridge CS5 and Photoshop CS5

Solution 1: Make sure that the hard disk on which Photoshop CS5 is installed does not have the name of a folder that is specific to operating system functionality, such as "Applications" or "Users." Rename hard disk to a non-conflicting name.

Message was edited by: Dweck

• 7. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
                      Dweck Level 1

Hi Mark,

That posting was close. It seems that the problem was I renamed my OS drive

a few weeks ago as I was reorganizing my stuff and had "apps" in the

description. Adobe finally told me that screwed up the program. It turns out

this is a known issue at the higher levels of tech support. Thanks for

forwarding that link, it was that info that got Adobe to the right

solution.

Regards,

Aboud

• 8. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?

No problem Im glad you have it resolved… People just c&p all sorts of 'error' strings and a straight forward search along with a 'keyword' or two on some of these can save a lot of IT time. I've searched Console's crash logs before now and found matches and solutions in almost no time… Very few problems are unique…

• 9. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?
                          Dweck Level 1

Hi Mark

I tried the google route, I guess I just didn't phrase it succinctly.

Interestingly enough, I did a search on Adobe's site and came up empty as

well. Yet the title of the document I finally got from tech support had a

string in it that should have flagged it. In any case, my nightmare is over

and your help was greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Aboud

• 10. Re: How do I fix lost presets and non-working scripts?

Im not sure if this sites search is still up the wall… There is a way to point google at the specific forums here to search… I've forgotten the string now but it's in the ID scripting forum… All I did was use… JavaScript code was missing & photoshop & mac