4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 5:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

Clip PREVIEW starting stopping

LKSD_Julie Level 1

I am running Abobe Premiere Elements 9 on a Macbook Pro 15" 2.66 and I am having problems with the Preview monitor  playback. I am working with 1080 30p AVCHD clips.

The clips play just fine in my project timeline and in the project monitor. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Elements.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Clip PREVIEW starting stopping
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the full specs of your MBP. The more info, the better.

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Clip PREVIEW starting stopping
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How many hard drives?

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
            You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
            Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
            You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
            A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
            You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
            I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
            Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for video editing
            Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
            A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
            http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 3. Re: Clip PREVIEW starting stopping
              LKSD_Julie Level 1

I am teaching a class and I have 14 computers with the same specs. Only one is acting up with the above mentioned issue.

These are the specs:

Model Name:    MacBook Pro
                Model Identifier:    MacBookPro5,1
                Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
                Processor Speed:    2.66 GHz
                Number Of Processors:    1
                Total Number Of Cores:    2
                L2 Cache:    6 MB
                Memory:    4 GB
                Bus Speed:    1.07 GHz
                Boot ROM Version:    MBP51.007E.B00
                SMC Version (system):    1.41f2
                Serial Number (system):    W89210MF71C
                Hardware UUID:    D28C800E-978C-5AB3-A9C5-C10DC64624A0
                Sudden Motion Sensor:
                State:    Enabled

• 4. Re: Clip PREVIEW starting stopping
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, obviously if the problem is limited to one computer, the problem is with that particular computer -- not the software.

Im sorry but I'm not sure we can troubleshoot it on this forum. You need someone who can sit down at the computer and tune it up, check the memory chips and hard drive, etc.