8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2011 6:36 AM by Jacob Bugge RSS

Best way to learn

Lynda Spangler Community Member

I am looking to learn Illustrator. I have a decent grasp of things in Photoshop yet when I look at Illustrator I am lost! I know they are not the same programs. So what would the Illustrator experts here give me as advice for learning? To add a little more detail I am starting a web design business and use icons. I want to be able to create these icons. I have found some great icons that are free to use but I start running into issues with use for commercial use. I could buy many and use them but I am starting out and do not have money to drop everytime I need an icon.  So why not learn to create them myself? I have noticed that many of these icons are created in Illustrator and now I want to learn =>

I look forward to the challenge or learning and hope one day to be able to contribute here on the forums.

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

Lynda

• 1. Re: Best way to learn
          Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

The honest to goodness truth is to take a course.

You can follow th tutorials on Adobe TV on this site or subscribe to Lynda.com

Buy Classroom in a Book by Adobe and Morrdy Goldings The real World Illustrator.

• 2. Re: Best way to learn

Thanks, I cannot take a course since I lack money and time.

I know about lynda.com (hey it is my name => ) but have not looked into it much yet.

I will look at the classroom in a book might be a good route for me to try.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Best way to learn
              Joe Paris Community Member

I'd second what Wade suggests with particular emphasis on Lynda.com. There you have in-depth video explanations of everything that Illustrator is capable of - or rather - what you as an artist are capable of doing with Illustrator!

• 4. Re: Best way to learn
                Steve Fairbairn Community Member

Start off by learning all about the tools and palettes.

Specially the pen tool and its variants (much like Photoshop's).

Basic shapes: Rectangle, ellipse etc. – how to make them, how to colour them, how to transform them.

Experiment and use help files when you get stuck.

And if you're still stuck, ask us.

• 5. Re: Best way to learn
                  Jacob Bugge MVP

Lynda,

In addition to what has been said already:

Start working with Illy and start reading the Helpfile (previously the Fine Manual); those are the basics. When you begin to understand the latter, you begin to be able to use it. It is written by folk knowing Illy and therefore it is a reference rather than an introduction.

As it appears, you are bound to get stuck, with something that is described nowhere and taken for granted by everyone unstuck, with something that is incomprehensible strange or different from other applications, with something that is actually a bug, with whatever.

And that is why we are here.

• 6. Re: Best way to learn
                    JETalmage Community Member

Use what you already have: the product's instructions. (What a concept!) Your lack of funds for alternatives may prove to be an advantage.

Start at the beginning of the local Help files; the Contents. Page through it like reading a book. As you go, actually perform the operations it describes.

It may seem tedious, but if you actually perform the described opreations (and actually have a genuine determination to become proficient), you will find yourself performing "sde trip" experiments as you go, and it will not be nearly as boring as you might presently think.

In the days before software vendors began cheaping out on providing printed documentation, that's how people serious about getting up to speed in a new program did it. It still works. Print the PDFs if you have to.

It may be more "fun" to read a published book. But the vast majority of those are just wordy reiterations of the same material as contained in the Help files, but interspersed with "clever" or "light hearted" commentary and annecdote which, frankly, I usually find much more tedious than the just-the-facts-ma'am technical documentation.

JET

• 7. Re: Best way to learn

Thanks to everyone for their input. I believe I will start to mess with the program and read through the help files. I will also be using the Adobe TV, most likely Lynda.com, and of course these wonderful forums. I can agree with you JET that the "humor" you find in some of these books, well, I would not always call it that. If anything it is stupid.

Thanks again everyone for your input. =>

• 8. Re: Best way to learn
                        Jacob Bugge MVP

For my small part you are welcome, Lynda.