5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2011 10:50 AM by Saki H

Combining files with same style name, different styles

Saki H Level 1

I am preparing a book and I have saved each chapter as a separate file. I am now going to copy all of the pages into one great, big file. The problem is—and I should have thought about this before—I have used the same style names in each chapter, but made tweaks to the styles in the later chapters that I would like to apply to the earlier chapters. If I combine these files into a new file, how can I make sure the later styles are the ones that will be used (ie, overwrite the earlier styles with the same name). Put differently, can I specify a "master" style that will override any "local" styles that are imported from a specific file (I am not sure I used master and local properly, but hopefully you know what I mean.)

Also, just out of curiosity, if I had wanted to keep both styles that had the same name, would there be a way to do that, too?

Thank you in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Combining files with same style name, different styles
          Stix Hart Level 5

You're preparing a book, use an Indesign "book" to do so!  It's exactly what you need, read all about it here.

• 2. Re: Combining files with same style name, different styles
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What Stix says, and DON'T sychronize the styles if you want to preserve them.

BUT....

In a book, why would you NOT want similar text elements to be styled the same? I would think you waould want to pick the case that you like best, select that chapter as your source, and synch the book. Of course that would be a problem if youwant style A from Chapter 1 and Style B from Chapter 2. In that case, you can go into the paragraph styles panel in each file, and select Load Styles from the panel menu, then navigate to the file you want to use and select an individual style to repalce, or do just one doc to get them all right, and then synch the book.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Combining files with same style name, different styles
              Saki H Level 1

Thanks Stix and Peter. That sounds like it will work.

Peter, I asked the hypothetical about preserving different styles in case I accidentally used the same style name in two different chapters for what should really be two different styles.   For example, let's say Chapter 1 has only one table, so I create a style called "Table". Then, working on Chapter 2 a few weeks later, I create a style called Table again, but this time the table is set up differently, so I used a different style. The easiest thing would be to rename one of the styles "Table 2", which I think is what you are suggesting. However, just in case I didn't do that, I was wondering how to preserve the separate styles. This actually hasn't happened, so maybe it is not the best example, but I was curious. Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Combining files with same style name, different styles
                peter minneapolis Level 4

Neil Weinberg wrote:

Thanks Stix and Peter. That sounds like it will work.

Peter, I asked the hypothetical about preserving different styles in case I accidentally used the same style name in two different chapters for what should really be two different styles.   For example, let's say Chapter 1 has only one table, so I create a style called "Table". Then, working on Chapter 2 a few weeks later, I create a style called Table again, but this time the table is set up differently, so I used a different style. The easiest thing would be to rename one of the styles "Table 2", which I think is what you are suggesting. However, just in case I didn't do that, I was wondering how to preserve the separate styles. This actually hasn't happened, so maybe it is not the best example, but I was curious. Thanks for your help!

Hi, Neil:

It's always a good idea to anticipate what could go wrong and looking for a way to avoid or fix it. Although InDesign can't tell you which same-named styles are defined differently in different documents, there are a couple of ideas:

Before proceeding, make and store secure backups of all the project files.

* Create a PDF document for each InDesign document - save each file before creating the PDFs. If exporting to PDF causes the InDesign documents to display the "unsaved changes" asterisk, use File > Revert to get back to a known starting point. Then synchronize the InDesign book using your best idea of which component file is the best one to use as the synchronization style source. Then, create a PDF for each file - modify the PDF filename so as not to overwrite the earlier ones. Then, use the document compare feature in the full Acrobat to see if there are any differences between pre- and post-synchronization PDFs.

* Search Google for terms like "InDesign report styles," "InDesign styles scripts, "InDesign styles plug-ins," "InDesign compare styles," and similar phrases, without quotes, to find what's out there, that could be useful in gathering and comparing style information. Dave Saunders wrote a script long ago that may be useful; search Google for dave saunders InDesign style script," without quotes.

If the various tools you find can't compare across files, you could likely convert their reports to PDF and compare the PDFs, or compare the outputs in a spreadsheet, etc.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: Combining files with same style name, different styles
                  Saki H Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was unaware of the Acrobat document compare feature, but that sounds very useful. I will definitely check it out!

Best,

Neil