3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 5:31 AM by Brounzer

ID won't display named range when importing excel

Vincent-Sweden Level 1

I've been looking for a way to import specific cells into ID and found a feature called "Named Range" in excel, which ID CS4 can handle.

When I create named range in excel 2007 and import it into CS4, it won't display my named range in the "Cell Range" drop-down box.

I have tried to save it as a 1997-2003 document, but it still won't display anything.

All the name range are both in the sheet 1 and workbook.

I have ID CS4 and MS office 2007 (excel).

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong...

//V

• 1. Re: ID won't display named range when importing excel
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's a bug and Adobe is aware of it. The only workaround is to save back to XLS format.

I've tested the workaround and I've found it to work. I'm not sure why you're not seeing the named ranges when doing so.

Edit: I just noticed that you're using CS4. I've only tested this with CS5 and CS5.5.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ID won't display named range when importing excel
            Vincent-Sweden Level 1

I retested it again. It seems like CS4 cannot read the named range which has different columns (or cells possibly), i.e named range saved with columns A and C. If only column A is saved or X... n (e.g. A,B,C...) is saved in a sequence, it works fine. Maybe it has to do with there is no value. See attached file.

How do I get around it? I don't think it is possible for any indesign to read different columns/cells. It would be the same as reading from different cells. How would indesign place the object if it did...

Prove me wrong anybody...

Excel (AC has no value)

2011-06-09 15-23-42.png

Indesign (AC is not displayed)

2011-06-09 15-34-05.png

//V

• 3. Re: ID won't display named range when importing excel
              Brounzer Level 1

Hi all,

I dug up this topic because I'm experiencing the same issue in Indesign CC 2017.

Does InDesign really not support XLSX for importing this way? Only the older standard XLS (pre 2013) ?

Is there any sight on whether this will be fixed at all?