4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 8:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Timeline in PrE8 not showing times

lk319

I noticed that in prE8 i cant seem to see the times in my timeline. It just shows up white above my timeline although when i move the playhead, it tells the time. Id like to know how to get this to show up again! thank you

• 1. Re: Timeline in PrE8 not showing times
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like your computer isn't able to refresh quickly enough. There could be a number of reasons for this.

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive? What graphics card do you have? What operating system are you running? Has the program worked before and suddenly stopped or has it been like this from the beginning?

Try starting the program while holding down the left side Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys.

Then go to the program's Window menu and select Restore Workspace.

Then go to Edit/Preferences and set Timeline Scrolling to Page rather than scroll.

• 2. Re: Timeline in PrE8 not showing times
            lk319 Level 1

I have 4gb RAM installed. 3.75gb available. I just defragged once i installed the program yesterday and have been deleting some programs i dont need. Using windows 7 OS 64 bit and i have an AMD 2.2ghz processor. it just started doing this randomly, ill try what you suggested.

EDIT: It worked, thank you very much. Lets hope it stays this way! Now, any was to lock the audio track? everytime i split a video clip, it splits audio. Thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: Timeline in PrE8 not showing times
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you hold down the Ctrl key as you add new clips to your timeline, it will over-ride the Ripple function and your other clips will remain in place.

BTW, I cover all of this -- as well as offer how-tos for every tool in the program -- in my books, if you're interested. They're available on Amazon.com and at Premiere Elemetns support site http://Muvipix.com (also a great source for tutorials!)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Timeline in PrE8 not showing times
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE does not have a Lock Track capability, like PrPro does, BUT you can effectively do what you describe. Instead of the Ctrl+K Cut, just Alt+click on the Video portion of a muxed Clip, selecting just the Video (temporarily unlocking the Audio & Video), and use the Scissors/Razor Tool to cut, JUST the Video. Continue, as needed.

Note: when you have only Cut the Video, you will not be albe to use the Delete and Close Gaps, as you still have the un-cut Audio, but so long as you know this, there will not be a problem, as you will very likely be replacing the Cut Video.

Note: if you are replacing Video, there might not be a need to Cut the Video on, say Video Track 1, as if you place Video on a Video Track above, it will be shown, and not the underlying Video. In that case, one can just place Video Clips above the original Video, and there will be no need to actually Cut it. The same can be done, using the Insert Edit (holding down the Ctrl modifier key), mentioned by Steve, in that with an Insert Edit, your new Clip will basically replace the original Frames, with your new ones.

Many ways to do certain things, and how one goes about it, will depend on what they need, and how they like to edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful