2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 7:48 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Multiprocessing performance

Elias Huch Level 1

I am wondering how an installed video card effects the performance of AE Multiprocessing?  I support several Late 09 Mac Pros running 10.6.7, 16gb ram 1066 Mhz DDR3, 2 x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, ATI HD 4870 video card.  When speaking with a tech at Adobe he said this"adobe does not support ATI because they had teamed with Nvidia's Cuda technology and the OpenGL on my card was not a supported".  Is this true? and has it been remedied with CS5.5?

Thanks,

Elias

• 1. Re: Multiprocessing performance
          Elias Huch Level 1

BTW, I am running CS5 on some on CS5.5 on others.  Cs5.5 seems to be a bit faster.

• 2. Re: Multiprocessing performance
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> When speaking with a tech at Adobe he said this"adobe does not support ATI because they had teamed with Nvidia's Cuda technology and the OpenGL on my card was not a supported".  Is this true?

No, that's not true. Here's a list of cards for which we provide support for OpenGL features:

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/extend.html

Note that there are many ATI cards there.

Please give me the case number for the support interaction in which someone told you that. I need to ensure that the person who told you that is given correct information.

> I am wondering how an installed video card effects the performance of AE Multiprocessing?

If you enable the OpenGL renderer, you disable Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. See this page.

After Effects makes very little use of the graphics card. It's not something that you should really consider at all when making buying decisions, etc. It's nowhere near as important as RAM, CPUs, and multiple fast hard disks.

There are a few places where the graphics card makes a  difference, but even in those places a stock card is adequate and  there's not a lot of benefit to getting a high-powered card.