5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 11:20 AM by peter minneapolis

Cross-references

gwhPoster Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a question about cross-referencing. I have the following text:

For a table of all sections included, click here

I need to create a cross-reference on the words "click here" so that they link to another page in the document. I select this text and then create the cross-reference but I need the words "click here" to remain as the link text but I can't find a way to do this as it gets replaced with the page number.

I wondered if anyone has a solution for this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• 1. Re: Cross-references
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You want a hyperlink, not a cross reference. I think.

• 2. Re: Cross-references
            gwhPoster Level 1

Oh yeah that's right - I didn't think of that - thanks.

Could I ask just one more question: I have a facing pages document with elements on the left and right master pages that are mirrored, ie. left hand masters have left positioned page numbers etc. while right hand masters have right positioned page numbers etc. I need to make my document single pages in order to successfully export to interactive pdf without it becoming spreads.

Is there a way to make the document single pages but to keep the elements where they are, ie. either left or right positioned according to what was on the master? And if there is, is there a quick undo to go back to the original facing pages as I only need to do this as a last step but need the original layout for further work.

Appreciate any further advice.

• 3. Re: Cross-references
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You had problems with the toggle spread script, right? Try InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine. Harbs has a script to automate the process, and I think it's in the comments.

• 4. Re: Cross-references
                gwhPoster Level 1

Yeah the toggle spread script was messing up the interactive buttons in my page. I'll take a look at the link - thanks again.

• 5. Re: Cross-references
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

gwhPoster wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a question about cross-referencing. I have the following text:

For a table of all sections included, click here

I need to create a cross-reference on the words "click here" so that they link to another page in the document. I select this text and then create the cross-reference but I need the words "click here" to remain as the link text but I can't find a way to do this as it gets replaced with the page number.

I wondered if anyone has a solution for this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

[EDIT] Second thought: is there a reason that the text you're linking to can't be used as the clickable text? Cross-reference format building blocks are quite flexible.[/EDIT]        

Create a cross-reference format with only the text you want to appear; in this case, "click here." You'll get a "missing building block" message, but it's only informative; usually one wants the page number or other content from the source, but you don't.  You can create and include a character style to make "click here" stand out.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-reference formats tutorial," and similar phrases, without quotes, for more detail.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro