• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merged CHM Help Files Displayed in Multiple Windows

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a number of years I've successfully run a large merged CHM help system. A few weeks ago, the individual merged files started to be displayed in their own windows instead of the 'umbrella' main window (as worked fine before). I use RoboHelp X5 on Windows XP - recipients have XP, Vista, latest Windows etc etc.

Viewing is successful on my PC but others have the problem, particularly with older files that have been reworked recently (but no changes that would affect the window). A search will not find anything in one of the files that display in their own window.

Anyone got any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normally caused by one or more of the merged projects having different window or SSL settings. Go through all your projects religiously and ensure they all have the same settings.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum.

I've already started this and found some diffenerces but to no effect on the final display yet - I'll obviously have to check more diligently.

What are SSL settings?

Is anything retained in computer memory when the help is closed (e.g. the last search) and can this be cleared out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single Source Layout - those recipes that generate the component parts of your final help project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Colum, I have indeed been careless in the past when selecting the buttons for the window. However this wasn't the prime cause.

David Hutchinson of the ISTC in the UK told me the cure -

"Check the section in the project's HHP file - open it in Notepad. The problem is likely to be that each line for a merged file includes the path to its folder. Remove the path and recompile the chm file."

The files that worked were just listed plain, those that caused problems had the file path attached.

Paths removed, problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp