7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 5:32 AM by stephenh44161733

flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working

stephenh44161733 Level 1

In the Scene palette, I've got 7 scenes  each of which is a variation of a gently animating and looping node structure.
      Each scene contains nodes which we can press to play another scene.

I've placed a large invisible button over the nodes with a code snippet "go to and play X" ie the 1st frame of another scene.

the node structures contain several nested symbols and I found placing a button within a nested symbol would not work.

I found placing a large invisible button over the top at the root level of the scene would sometimes work and I could advance to another scene.

this no longer works however and I'm sure I didnt change anything. I've tried to recreate it with no success.

I've tried making my symbols mc's and also graphics.

sometimes i get error message "scene could not be found" other times there is no message, just nothing happens

anybody got a light to shine on this one?

ta

• 1. Re: flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What does the actual actionscript code look like?  One thing that I will always recommend is to avoid using scenes if doing so involves navigation.  I have always found them to be unreliable and never used them in my own work.  Just keep everything as sections of the first scene's timeline and/or use movieclips instead of scenes.

• 2. Re: flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working
            stephenh44161733 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for reply Ned.

I think maybe I previously had the actionscript for the button on the wrong frame of the scene.

Its working again at the moment. For the button I now have the code snippet "Click to Go to Scene and Play" on the first frame of the scene and to make the scene loop I have the following action script on the last frame of the scene

this.gotoAndPlay("Layout1_Frame1")

"Layout1_Frame1" is the Label for first frame of the scene.

This appears to be working for now but if its more reliable, maybe I should make everything in each scene a MovieClip like you suggest, then put it all in one timeline.

My symbols were all MC's originally but I re-made them all from scratch as graphic Symbols as the nested animation wasn't updating in the timeline so I found it impossible to sync everything.

Not sure wether to carry on with scenes or is it possible/advisable to duplicate master graphic symbols and convert them to MC's ?

thanks again for sharing your wisdom

s

• 3. Re: flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working
              stephenh44161733 Level 1

are we allowed to upload our flash files to this forum?

ta

• 4. Re: flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working

Personally I would recommend getting away from scenes.  If making what you have as scenes into separate movieclips will make it easier for you to manage the content, then go for it.  You can either spread them out on the timeline or keep them all in one frame and control their visibility.  Controlling the visibility works well if you need to retain the state of things in one section when you change to a different section.

You can't attach files to the forums any more... a year or two ago you could, but like a variety of features it was disabled.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working
                  stephenh44161733 Level 1

thanks for info again Ned, very much appreciated.

Think I'll persevere with scenes for a few more hours as re-organising my project into 1 timeline seems a bit daunting even though it sounds the best way to go.

Future projects will definitely follow the MachineClip 1 timeline method rather than scenes

cheers

s

• 6. Re: flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working

You're welcome.  In case you end up having problems, the quickest way to recreate this using one timeline might be to copy each scenes timeine into a movieclip and then copy/paste the movieclips into the timeline of a new file.  To copy a scene into a movieclip you select all the timeline layers/frames, right click and choose Copy Frames, create a new MovieClip symbol, select the one keyframe in that new movieclip's only layer of its timeline, right click the keyframe and choose Paste Frames.  All layers and frames will populate the timeline.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: flash cs 5 "go to and play" not working
                      stephenh44161733 Level 1

toptastic tips Ned, very kind of you to share your knowledge