6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 12:39 PM by Ben M

Edited Images Do Not Refresh

Nicholas Avallone Level 1

When I edit an image in an external program (PS, Illustrator), Dreamweaver doesn't show the changes. It insists that no changes have been made. Refresh doesn't help, nor does using any of those idiotic internal image editing buttons in DW. (Half of them are greyed out most of the time anyway.)

There's more information & frustration at this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2181158#2181158 ... which was mysteriously marked "Answered".

Here's  an example: I have a graphic in an HTML document, stored locally. I  edit the graphic and save it, but DW continues to use the older preview  image. I can see the updated image in Live View, but it actually reverts  back to the earlier image when I return to Design Mode! Madness! Why  would it do that? It also fails to update the preview image when I upload & use absolute URLs to identify the image.

This was not an issue in CS3 IIRC. I think the addition of those image-editing tools in CS5 have screwed things up somehow, like DW has decided it is the only program on the machine.

This is one of those things that stops workflow dead in its tracks.

• 1. Re: Edited Images Do Not Refresh
          370H55V Level 4

First of all, Dreamweaver IS NOT image editing software, so I think you're confused as to what the editing buttons are really for. They are for editing displayed properties like size, padding, border, etc. (CSS Stuff) not actually editing the content of the picture.

If you're using a thumbnail in the HTML doc and you haven't edited that, you won't see any changes, but I find it hard... no, impossible to believe that Dreamweaver has the ability to show the previous version of something that has been physically changed and saved. We (humans) are decades away from that kind of technology, and that includes Adobe.

Somewhere it would seem you have saved a copy of the original, and may be pointing to original in one view and the edited copy in another.

Have you tried deleting the image from the page altogether, and reloading it with the edited image?

• 2. Re: Edited Images Do Not Refresh
            Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Can you confirm more of your system details (OS + version, DW + version)?

My first gut instinct would tell me the answer that David gave in that thread you refer to would be the most helpful to re-create the site cache (Site->Advanced->Recreate Site Cache).  This is mostly due to the fact that this does sound like a caching issue.

Also I don't see this next suggestion I am going to offer you in that post so it may be worth trying.  In your OS create a new user account on the system and run DW in there.  I would recommend copying and pasting some of your site files and bringing over a site definition as well (Site->Manage Sites->Choose a Site and click Export).  Then load it up in the new user account.  I have seen situations before where OS user accounts get corrupted and because of the permissions errors it's just easier to create a new user account and let the cache rebuild there then to mess around with permissions on existing user folders.

And in case that doesn't work.  I'm going to say, for the time being so we aren't shooting all over the place, let's focus on the local issue first without the absolute addresses.  And with that said, is the editing initiated by DW, or is it initiated by you.  By this I mean, do you browse to the file in the DW File Manager and click Edit on the image to open Photoshop/Illustrator, or do are you opening the files through those programs, hitting save and then going back to DW?

• 3. Re: Edited Images Do Not Refresh

Thanks for the replies.

I_Know_Nothing_at_all: There's no confusion about what DW does. The buttons I referred to are the image editing buttons in the Properties panel. They  appear when you have a graphic selected, and allow you to crop, change  contrast, sharpen, and some other stuff. There is a warning that pops up  that essentially says these changes will be permanent and change the  original file. I don't use them, but they are there.

As for your suggestion: Yes, my computer is  plugged in, and yes, it is turned on, and no, I haven't mistaken which  image I've edited. I did try deleting and re-inserting, but to no effect. The only thing that gets the image to update is a restart of DW.

SnakEyez02: Rebuilding the cache seemed like a good idea. Alas, it didn't do anything.

More  detail, though, which is probably relevant.

First, WinXP SP3 & DW  CS5. I'm using a mySQL testing server setup on my local machine, which  may be interfering with DW's ability to refresh the cached graphics?  Also, the issue seems to happen only when working with absolute links --  I create a lot of HTML emails for clients, and I'm pretty certain  that's the only time I run into this issue. For the rest of my work  links are root-relative, and seem to update fine.

When editing images, I do both: I either select from the DW File Manager or open directly in Photoshop, and neither one seems to effect the results.

So to recap, I can't get DW to refresh the display of remotely-hosted  images while in Design mode, while those same images display perfectly  in Live View.

If there was a "Update Remote Image"  button that refreshed the locally cached graphic based on the remote  image, I'd be all set. But once a remote graphic is cached locally,  there doesn't seem to be any way of displaying an updated version of it,  short of restarting DW.

I haven't tried setting up a new account: that sounds like quite a to-do. If I have time and get more frustrated, I'll give it a shot.

• 4. Re: Edited Images Do Not Refresh
                370H55V Level 4

"So to recap, I can't get DW to refresh the display of remotely-hosted   images while in Design mode, while those same images display perfectly   in Live View."

Here's the clincher on that.

Live view is essentially showing you what a browser will show... including remotely hosted content, which it can connect to and display.

Design view is OFFLINE and will under no circumstances, access or display remotely hosted content, unless something has changed with CS5.5. I don't know because I had CS5 but no longer have either system which was loaded with it. Design view in CS4 will show local files, and placeholders, for remote content only, as far as I know.

It sounds like you've edited and uploaded the images, but are still working with the originals locally.

• 5. Re: Edited Images Do Not Refresh
                  Ben M Adobe Community Professional
                  Also, the issue seems to happen only when working with absolute links --  I create a lot of HTML emails for clients, and I'm pretty certain  that's the only time I run into this issue. For the rest of my work  links are root-relative, and seem to update fine.

This is why I said what I said because that's what I was afraid of.  I've been skeptical myself of DWs abilities at handling remote content in your specific situation, which unfortunately is very common.  What I would recommend doing is what I have done and submit a feature request to Adobe for future versions since they seem to be moving a bit quicker now after publishing the CS5.5 release to accomodate for HTML5 and CSS3.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Personally speaking my recommendation was an HTML email mode where the "browse" function could potentially work with remote connection (eg: FTP) and select the files creating absolute links as you go, and have the ability to turn on inline CSS writing permanently (unlike the current drop-down option in the Properties window).  That was just my suggestion, but the more suggestions people send to Adobe about this, the more likely it is to happen.

And just as a final note based on what you describe it is a caching issue.  What is happening when working with remote images is that DW downloads a copy locally and then you see that.  Live View always refreshes since it runs against the server, and the Refresh button "should" re-download all images from the server to replace the cached versions, but that does not appear to be working.  You might also want to submit a separate bug report using that same form (there is an option saying Feature Request or Bug Report) so they are aware that the cache not refreshing as often as it should is being viewed as a bug.  From my experiences in working with HTML emails I tend to push people towards services like Mailchimp that allow me as a designer, to simply give them a ZIP file containing their work, they just upload and send.  No absolute linking is necessary since the images are hosted by the ESP so it allows me as a designer to work with all local files, zip and go.  There was another service that someone else mentioned on the forums that has a similar feature that I do apologize that I don't remember the name to because I have no experience with that service, but it's definitely something to consider if you are setting up an account with an ESP.  Unfortunately, there are also places like Constant Contact that has its own custom markup that you must use to even track links in an email, so believe me when I say I've seen both sides of the spectrum.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Edited Images Do Not Refresh

I_Know_Nothing_at_all: I upgraded from CS3 several months ago, but I don't recall ever not being able to see remote content in the editor. IIRC, it's a toggleable option? That said, I'm certainly able to view remotely hosted content in Design View, though: heck, I can drag an image from my browser right into a web page.

But from what you say it certainly sounds like this is an issue specific to the caching of remote content, and DW's inability to refresh that content, except on program start. So it makes the connection once, and then never again until you restart the program.

My feeling is that if DW is going to display remote content (which it does), it ought to be able to refresh that content, either automatically or when prompted by the user. But hey: what do I know?