12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 4:16 AM by Rishaar

Question regarding Areca 1880 - "ARC-1880ix -12"

mikeklar Level 1

Having just installed (actually this past Friday)  the Areca 1880 I am pleasantly surprised at how well it is functioning, but have a couple of questions

First, my surprise on how much it improved speed wise over the previous RAID card.  Please see the attached two charts:

As can be seen on the "File Benchmark" chart both read and write exceed 2,000 MB/s!  I'm wondering if it is an issue with the "HD Tune Pro 4.60 - Hard Disk Utility" in that it cannot cope with transfer rates exceeding 1,000 MB/s?  Anyone have a comment on this?

Regarding my two concerns -

- This RAID card is not recognized when over-clocking they mother board by more than 10%,  this was not the case with the previous RAID card.

- During Boot-up at the point Areca's RAID BIOS starts up a message appears as follows: "Waiting for "F/W" to become ready, xxx/300 seconds elapses" After 8 seconds the RAID card boots up and all is normal.   So, what is meant by "F?W" and should i be concerned about this message?

Also,any suggestions as to the over-clocking issue?

System configuration - Intel Core i7 - 950, mother board ASUS Rampage III Extreme, operating system MS windows 7 Ultimate, number of drives in RAID configuration - eight Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm.

Cheers,

Michael