5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 7:54 AM by Dave LaRonde

Removing tint from greenscreen footage

reindeer4 Level 1

I made a video recording of me playing the piano with greenscreens in the background.  There's a lot of reflected green light hitting the piano, and this is making keying difficult.

The piano and cameras are stationary so I can easily draw a mask to isolate the piano, but what's the best way to get rid of the green tinge so I don't get flickering when I key out the greenscreens later?

(I have ADove After Effects CS4)

I've tried messing with masks, tinting, curves, and briefly Colorama, but not making much progress.  The green is heaviest in one area of the piano, but there's also a more diffuse component that's not amenable to simply drawing a mask to isolate it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Removing tint from greenscreen footage
          asinclair@ithaca.edu Level 1

The reflective surface of the piano (or any other shiny or metallic surface) would naturally reflect whatever background (in this case the green screen). So when you add your new background to your scene you would actually want that new background "reflected" on the piano surface. You could of course mask it separately since it is a static shot, but then what would the piano be reflecting?.

Another issue with a large reflection area (like the piano) is the angle of the reflection which you could estimate and then rotate the background for the piano (isolated through your additional mask) accordingly.

I use the zMatte keyer in AE to do my green/blue screen. It has an option to "light wrap" a specified background into those areas of the picture that still have some spill or reflections.

If zMatte is not available, the best available keyer in my opinion is Keylight 1.2 found among your keying options. It does an excellent job in most cases. Sometimes I use it in combination with Inner/Outer Key (also in your keying options) because it allows further edge and additional background corrections.

Hope this helps (reflections rock!:-D)

arturo

• 2. Re: Removing tint from greenscreen footage
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reflected green light from something shiny is always hard to deal with. I'd carefully draw a mask around the piano so that it's accurately cut out. Then you can reduce the saturation or replace the color on the piano layer. Once you've got the green spill taken care of then you can pull the key on another copy of your footage. With this copy you're only concentrating on the piano player. Once you have a good key there you create a garbage matte around the player eliminating the piano. The two shots together should give you a good result.

If you could post a frame from your project I'll show you exactly what I'm talking about.

• 3. Re: Removing tint from greenscreen footage
              reindeer4 Level 1

Thanks for the replies, and Rick, thanks for the offer to take a look at a screenshot to do help me out.  After reading your reply, however, I took another crack at things and got them keyed much better than before.

After masking the piano onto its own layer I used Change Color effect, changed the green to more closely match the brown of the piano, and then desaturated about 15%.  One the piano player, I used Keylight to get rid of the backround greenscreens and a simple choker to tighten things up.

Will be more careful with the lighting and distance from greenscreens next time.

Much thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: Removing tint from greenscreen footage
                mattdecil

Just stumbled across this thread. Although you probably got many solutions for this problem already, I wanna leave a little tip here on how to remove any spill from any footage:

- Make a new comp out of the spilled footage

- duplicate the footage layer in the comp

- add the "channel mixer" effect on the top footage layer

- set the "gree-red" & "green-blue" to 50 and the "green-green" to 0 (now you got rid of the greens)

- Now set the top layer with the channel mixer effect to "darken" mode to get the other colors back

- Precomp both layers again and you got a despilled footage

Hope that could help (better late than never)

• 5. Re: Removing tint from greenscreen footage
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Once you have the piano isolated AE'a Spill Suppressor might be handy.