13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2011 9:09 AM by Debi1016

resize video without losing quality

Debi1016 Level 1

I'm new to premiere elements, and I am having some quality issues. The video I have shot is HD 16:9, but the output I want is 4:3. What is the best way to do this. I realize that if I add video to my 4:3 project and try to stretch it to fit, the quality is lost. Is there a way to stretch it, and keep the quality? Or can you save it in the "share" to be 4:3 without the letterboxing? So far when I try exporting to 4:3 it just creates letterboxing on the top and bottom instead of cropping in.

Thanks!

Debi

• 1. Re: resize video without losing quality
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the 16:9 to 4:3, the best that you can do, to maintain the best quality, would be to allow the sides (or perhaps one side) to be cropped from the 16:9 footage. Can you stand such cropping?

Next best would be to allow for the Letterboxing of the 16:9 in the 4:3 Project.

For going to HD footage to SD, Steve G. offered a workflow in this THREAD. I added a link to Jeff Bellune's HD to SD tutorial, but it's fairly involved, and needs several open source programs, with some scripts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: resize video without losing quality
            Debi1016 Level 1

Thanks, yes I can totally lose space on both sides. How do I crop it though. If i transform it and stretch it bigger I loose the quality.

Thanks,

Debi

• 3. Re: resize video without losing quality
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Debi,

You do not actively crop the 16:9 footage. That takes place naturally, due to the 4:3 Project Frame Size. If you place wider (in this case) footage into a more narrow Frame Size, the extra material is just not seen.

Now, as you are starting with HD footage (isn't that correct), I would use Steve's suggested workflow, to edit the HD footage, and then to Export/Share as a DV-AVI Widescreen (PAR = 1.212), and Import that into a DV Standard 4:3 Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: resize video without losing quality
                Debi1016 Level 1

When i try to add the 16:9 into the 4:3 it fits in in the width and I have black on the top and bottom. Is there a way from there to stretch it out? Every way i have tried kills my resolution.

I should mention too that right now I am still under the trial, I need to make sure this program will work for our company before I buy it. If you know of a better program to do this in (final cut express maybe better?)

Thanks,

Debi

• 5. Re: resize video without losing quality
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Debi,

In this case, what are the Frame Sizes, the and the PAR of your Source Files, and what are the specs.of the Project?

Also, do you have Scale to Frame Size checked?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: resize video without losing quality
                    Debi1016 Level 1

Here is the properties of the file I am trying to edit.

I honestly don't know what you mean by PAR and specs for the project. What I am trying to accomplish is a 4:3 video ratio for web use and to put on a disc. It is for a clothing line to help show how the clothes hang on a model so I need it as clear as I can get it.

Where would I find Scale to Frame Size?

Screen shot 2011-06-09 at 1.39.35 PM.png

• 7. Re: resize video without losing quality
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are still back at the HD end of things. With those HD Assets, you are dealing with 16:9, and a Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) of 1.0, by definition.

Are you trying to create an HD 4:3 Project, or have you created an SD 4:3 Project, and are trying to use the HD Source Files?

For more discussion on PAR, this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: resize video without losing quality
                        Debi1016 Level 1

Thanks for you help on this. So yes my source files are HD, I think it would be best to create a HD 4:3 but the only 4:3 option I see is SD to start a project with.

Debi

• 9. Re: resize video without losing quality
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Debi,

I think that we might to step back a bit, as I believe that there is confusion, and I have not helped clear that up.

By definition, a 4:3 Project will be SD (Standard Definition), as delivered as a 4:3 (also referred to as Standard) DVD-Video. Is this your ultimate need?

Now, SD can also be Widescreen too, with an Aspect Ratio (not Pixel Aspect Ratio, though that will figure in) of 16:9.

The Frame Sizes of an SD Project will be 720 x 480 for NTSC, and 720 x 480 for PAL. The way that one ends up with 16:9, from the same Frame size, is thorugh non-square pixels. That is the same way that one ends up with 4:3 - non-square pixels. The difference is that with the 4:3, the pixels are skinny, and with 16:9, they are fat.

HD (High Definition) is, by definition, 16:9. Most HD formats use square pixels, but there are some limited exceptions, such as 1440 x 1080 Anamorphic, which also uses non-square pixels.

If you are in need of a 4:3 output, like that above mentioned DVD-Video, you will need to get your HD, square pixel (PAR = 1.0) Source Footage down to 720 x 480, with non-square pixels (PAR = 0.9). Where you have a 16:9 Aspect Ratio (like the 1920 x 1080 with PAR = 1.0), you can most easily either allow the 4:3 Frame Size to crop off the sides, or can Scale down, so that the width equals 720, and let the hight adjust down to match, but that creates the Letterboxing.

Steve Grisetti's workflow, in that other linke thread, shows how to down-rez the HD footage, to be used in an SD Project.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: resize video without losing quality
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Debi,

Exactly how do you need to deliver your 4:3 Project?

That will direct how to proceed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: resize video without losing quality
                              Debi1016 Level 1

Thanks Bill,

So my video will be used for two purposes. One is to put on the web (not too big) and the other for viewing on laptops. (not as a dvd video but as a video file that can be viewed) I need it to be the 4:3 so it can crop out the side, I shot it with hopes that I would be able to crop out the sides, otherwise there is lots of wasted space I don't want the end-user to see. I also had hopes of if i needed to zoom into part of the video (say i just want to show the shirt only and not the pants).

I'm understanding now a little better that it will distort it just making the HD to SD.

Another question, is there a way to edit it in 16:9 but then for output have it be a smaller width so the sides are cropped instead of adding black to the top and bottom of the video? or is it better to edit it in the size you want to export it?

Debi

• 12. Re: resize video without losing quality
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Debi,

Thank you for that information.

Going from the 16:9 HD Project to a 4:3 Project will likely require a few steps, and some compromises.

• I would edit the HD 16:9 Project, choosing a Preset that matches your Source Footage 100%.
                                • When done, go to Share, and choose NTSC DV-AVI Standard as the output format.
                                • Create an NTSC DV Standard Project, and Import that output file.
                                • Drag to the Timeline, and then go to the Effects Tab.
                                • Choose Edit Effects>Motion>Scale, and use the slider to increase the height (the width will follow if Constrain Proportions is checked), until it fills your Frame.
                                • From there, you can Share to FLV (I'd not use the Sorenson Spark CODEC) for the Web and size down, if necessary.
                                • For distribution to the laptops, if they are PC's, then WMV would work fine. If they are Mac, or mixed, I'd go with MOV. Both of those offer the ability to size down too. Note: most computer screens are 16:9, or close.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: resize video without losing quality
                                  Debi1016 Level 1

Thanks Bill!

Debi