5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2011 9:04 AM by Derek Cross

Interactive Contracts

San_Francisco_Kid Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I am a Newb in the design realm, but my CEO has tasked me with creating an "interactive contract" that we can attach to our website with a unique URL that will allow customers to choose their prodcuts from some form of selectable list (Im thinking Check Boxes) and whenever each services is selected the contract automatically populates itself with the product, description and price. I think that this can only be accomplished in Dreamweaver, however he would like it done in Acrobat/Indesign to make printing easier.

I have not been able to find a way to make this happen with InDesign, but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Interactive Contracts
          Derek Cross Level 6

I'm not sure whether this is exactly what you want, but one solution would be to create the design for your form, with fields, check boxes etc in InDesign, then export it to PDF. Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat, and create a form (In Version X, it's: Tools > Forms > Create - Use current document). Having created your form you can upload the PDF to your website so that users can download it, complete it and email it back to you (there are also other ways of collecting data). If this sounds what you'd like to do, you can learn how with the excellent Lynda.com tutorial: http://www.lynda.com/Acrobat-9-tutorials/pro-creating-forms/540-2.html

Derek

• 2. Re: Interactive Contracts
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Derek's solution will work fine, but there is a licensing issue that resticts you to a total of 500 returns. If you need more than that, you need to license Live Cycle, I believe, and it's NOT cheap.

• 3. Re: Interactive Contracts
              Derek Cross Level 6

It might be worth posting the question of the number or returns allowed on the Acrobat forum. I would guess that it wouldn't apply to email attachments.

• 4. Re: Interactive Contracts
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You would guess wrong.

• 5. Re: Interactive Contracts
                  Derek Cross Level 6

Peter, it would seem you're right. I checked with an expert and his reply included this:

"To be honest, once a user is looking above a couple of hundred forms to be returned then you need to look at either data routing through a POST command (a) or via direct connection to an OLEDB database (b). Both these solutions are available through either a (a) web developer with scripting knowledge or (b) a Livecycle consultant with database connectivity skills. I have contacts in both these fields. By going down these routes, you avoid Adobe Reader Extensions since (a) data is posted over email/web [not the PDF] and (b) same here but via direct connection to a database backend."

It would be nice to hear how the original poster gets on.