13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 6:45 AM by retchemteach

Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options

SLAtkins

Thanks for looking!  I've created my first project, and am now trying to finish it with a nice rolling title. Right now I can't get the title rolling any faster than 2-3 seconds, how can I control how fast the title rolls up, and how soon it starts.

Here what I would like to happen, please let me know if this is possible:

1. Entire title clip lasts approximately 12 seconds
      2. Title rolls from offscreen, starts within 1 second, and is fully on screen in a stationary position within approximately 5 seconds (does not roll off the screen)
      3. Title displays for approximately 5 full seconds, then fades to black (complete in 1-2 seconds)

Is it possible to have this much control over a rolling title with Premiere Elements?

Thanks for any help you can provide me!

• 1. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The speed a title rolls depends on how long the title clip is.

Switch over to Timeline mode (if you're not already there) and extend the length of the title by dragging on its end. The longer the title, the slower it will roll or crawl.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
            SLAtkins Level 1

Thanks Steve, I understand that.  My question is:

Is it possible to have the title rolls from offscreen right away, get it fully on screen for approximately 5 seconds (does not roll off the screen) and then fade to black?  Or does everything have to be perfectly symmetrical?

• 3. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I find that one has so very much more control, when animating Titles, if they use Keyframes on the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position (and for some more "looks" Motion>Scale too). This is done by creating a static Title (do not use one of the Presets) first, and dragging it to the Timeline. With it Selected, click on the Effects Tab, then look down for the Edit Effects button. Click that, and you will then have the Effects Control Panel. Note the Fixed Effects (those added automatically), and find Motion. It has a little triangle beside it, and you want to twirl that open, by clicking the triangel. There, you will see Position and Scale.

With Keyframes, you can set the speed of the Roll, or Crawl, can start as far off-screen, as you want, can pause a Title, when it's in the center of the Frame, then animate it off (in any direction that you want!). The animation is only limited by your imagination.

The Help files has a good coverage of Keyframes, and Steve Grisetti has a 3-part (IIRC) tutorial on Keyframes on Muvipix.com. I highly recommend those.

Keyframes can be used to animate most Effects, not just the Fixed Effects, so any learning curve is more than offset, by the power you will gain on so very much in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Bill says, you can do pretty much any effect you can imagine Premiere Elements.

I show you how to do a lot of it -- including use keyframes, as Bill describes, to custom-create effects and motion -- with my books, available on Amazon.com and at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

I've also written a book specifically on how to do special effects with the program. It's got an entire chapter on creating and animating titles.

http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                  Kawika808 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for a very useful summary of how to access the controls.

This is an old thread, but I hope you will answer one more question: is it possible to create a rolling (upward) title that displays just a couple of lines in the lower 1/3 of the screen, starting on screen and rolling up to disappear within the lower 1/3 of the screen as new lines of text rise to take their place?

The idea is to have two or three lines visible over a length of video, but they would continue to scroll up like the odometer on a car, one line going up out of sight as a new one comes in from the bottom to replace it.  Thus the content read by the viewer would change to keep describing with the action of the video.

Each rolling title would be about 10-12 seconds in duration, to describe 10-12 seconds of action.

This would be much better than a series of short static titles, and would keep pace better.

• 6. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                    N9JCR

I see you asked this also in a new post - I answered you there.

Bob

• 7. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                      retchemteach

I have a new PC operating Win7Pro, and I recently installed PE12.  I have used PE4 for many years, so I have a little knowledge....key word, little.  This inquiry is about ROLLING TITLES.  In PE4, when you'd click on the rolling title, there would be a little blue icon at the lower right of the monitor panel.  You could click on that to edit roll speed, start and stop, etc.  In the pdf file for PE12 help (actually PE13), they show the rolling titles edit screen with the options of Start Offscreen, and Pre-roll, etc...but I cannot find that in my PE12.

I do know that if I drag out the (in the timeline) the title, I can slow down the roll, but I'm really interested in the stop and start locations.

I have read your reply about a 'go round' for a rolling title, and I do not understand how to locate/do "Keyframes".

I do know about the MOTION effects and sliders/changers for that (the Effects on the right side of the screen for MOTION and OPACITY).

I tried your 'recipe' to make a 'regular' title become a rolling title, but I could not follow the directions, as what you were describing was not being shown on my screen ["...then look down for the Edit Effects button...].  In my senile, retirement years, I guess I need more help.  I have really tried to research help in this area via Google and this forum, and I keep coming back to your post.  Sorry.

Thank you for any help you can toss in my direction.

retchemteacher

• 8. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                        Kawika808 Level 1

Here's some info that I copied from somewhere when I first used PE12.

NOTE:

Applying an *animation preset will overwrite all roll, crawl, and keyframe

settings*.

Use Roll/Crawl options to change a rolling title to a crawling title or

vice versa, specify the direction of a crawl, and set the timing of

movement.

A rolling title is commonly used for production credits.

Create a rolling or crawling title

CREATE TEXT FIRST. (see PDF method below for long rolling titles)

1.    Do one of the following:   To “activate” the text and open the

Roll/Crawl: DOUBLE CLICK the text IN THE TIMELINE.  Then click Text in

the Menu bar.

·         To create a rolling title, choose Text > Roll/Crawl Options >

Roll.

·         To create a crawling title, choose Text > Roll/Crawl Options >

Crawl.

2.    Create the text and graphic objects for the title. Use the Monitor

panel's scroll bar to view offscreen areas of the title. When the title is

added to the Quick view timeline or the Expert view timeline, the hidden

offscreen areas roll or crawl into view.

3.    Select the Roll/Crawl Options in the Roll/Crawl Options dialog box.

4.    Specify options as desired, and then click OK.

*Note: *You can specify a direction for crawling titles only. Rolling

titles always move from the bottom to the top of the screen.

Set roll and crawl options

1.    Do one of the following:

·         In the Quick view timeline, select the superimposed clip. In the

Monitor panel, click the clip, and then double-click the title text.

·         In the Expert view timeline, double-click the title clip. (If

necessary, scroll up the Video tracks to the Video 2 track.)

The Adjust panel changes to display the text options.

2.    Select Text > Roll/Crawl Options, and set the following options as

desired. Click in the Monitor panel outside of the box to save the

converted title.

Title Type

Specifies the kind of title you want. Boxes created for rolling or crawling

extend into offscreen areas when you convert a rolling or crawling title

into a static title.

Start Off Screen

Specifies that the roll or crawl begins out of view and moves into view.

End Off Screen

Specifies that the roll or crawl continues until the objects are out of

view.

Preroll

Specifies the number of frames that play before the roll or crawl begins.

Ease-In

Specifies the number of frames that the title rolls or crawls at a slowly

increasing speed until the title reaches the playback speed.

Ease-Out

Specifies the number of frames that the title rolls or crawls at a slowly

decreasing speed until the roll or crawl completes.

Postroll

Specifies the number of frames that play after the roll or crawl completes.

Crawl Left and Crawl Right

Specify the direction in which a crawl moves.

==============

HOW TO USE PSE TO CREATE LONG ROLLING TITLE

Do you need a long Rolling, or Crawling Title? Well, Premiere’s Titler

(both PrElements and PrPro) can do that, but when one gets much beyond the

Frame Size dimensions of the Project’s/Sequence’s Frame Size, editing can

get difficult.

I find that creating such, is much better in Photoshop, or Photoshop

Elements. Since Premiere can handle large Still Images (PrE has increased

the maximum from 4096 x 4096 pixels, so that PrE 11 and later, and  PrPro

CS 5 and higher, can handle much larger images, one can get a lot of pixels

in such a Title, and especially if the Crop to just what they need in one

dimension. Here are the steps that I use, and in this example, I will use a

1920 x 1080 Project/Sequence Frame Size.

1. In Photoshop, open a New Image, and use the drop-down to choose HD 1920

x 1080 w/ Guides and a Transparent Background, for this example. (Choose

the Frame Size of YOUR Project.)

2. Depending on whether you need a Roll, or a Crawl, go to *Image>Canvas

Size* and increase either the bottom, or the side, by the number of pixels,

that will be needed for the Text. Note that Canvas Size allows one to

increase the Canvas Size in any of 8 directions, so give this some thought,

and choose the area, that you need to increase.

3. Choose the Type Tool (for Video, I would set a bold, san-serif font),

and begin typing your Text.

4. Keep your Type within the Title Safe Area (width for a Roll), though for

a Crawl, you are only placing the Baseline within the vertical area of the

Title Safe Area.

5. Type your Text, or Paste it in, from a word processing document.

6. When done, if you have a Roll, Crop to just to the left and right of

that Text, as it extends up and down, and for a Crawl, just above and below

the Text. You do not need many pixels to the left and right of a Roll, or

above and below a Crawl. The fewer extra pixles, the taller, or longer,

your Title can be.

7. Save_As a PSD, to maintain the Transparency.

8. In APE12, Import the PSD, make sure that Scale to Default Frame Size

is OFF.

9. Drag it to a Video Track above your Video, or graphic.

10.  Go to the first Frame of that PSD.

11.  Here, things differ, whether you have PrE, or PrPro, as they have

slightly different steps for Keyframing the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position

12.  In PrE, with the PSD Selected, go to Effects Tab > Edit Effects…>

Effects Control Panel. Fixed Effects (same in PrE, or PrPro) are

automatically added to each Clip, or Still Image.

13.  In PrPro, with the PSD Selected, go to the Effects Control Panel.

14.  Toggle animation of the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position ON, and that

will add a Keyframe to the first Frame.

15.  Now, you need to adjust the Motion>Position of that first Frame. I

like to click the X axis number, and type in a number, to move the PSD

off-frame left, or right, for a Crawl, and the Y axis to move the PSD

off-frame up, or down, for a Roll. When done, you can click-scrub to fine

tune. You only need to get the Text off-screen by a few pixels.

16.  Then, go to the end of the PSD, and add a Keyframe to

Motion>Positon, adjusting the necessary axis, per above, but to go

off-frame in the opposite direction.

That will allow one to animate the Roll, or Crawl, and by Cropping the PSD

in PS, or PSE, you can extend the number of pixels to allow for very long

Crawls, or Rolls. For Crawls, I have made them 14,000 pixels wide, and

Cropped to about 130 pixels high. For Rolls, I have made those about 6.000

pixels tall, cropped into the left and right of my Text.

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM, retchemteach <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Just in case...for all this the Titler must be opened....

When you were using Premiere Elements 4, you had two places for the Roll/Crawl Options, one in the Title Menu and the other at the bottom of the Titler.

V4ROLL.jpg

Now in Premiere Elements 12/12.1, Expert workspace, it is essentially the same, but...

the Roll/Crawl Options are just under the Text (used to be called Titles) menu

12roll.JPG

Again, Titler must be opened.

If you need a how to for Roll/Crawl Titles customized for Premiere Elements 12/12.1, please let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                            retchemteach Level 1

Thank you....I tried the link to mark your reply as "correct", but I cannot

make THAT work....sigh.

• 11. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                              retchemteach Level 1

Thank you....I saw your reply in the posts, and I truly appreciate the

visual detail...."A picture is worth a thousand words."  I keep trying to

mark your replies as "correct" which is mentioned at the bottom of the

email I get, but I cannot seem to do that.  At the moment, the steep

learning curve has flattened out thanks to your patience and help...whew!

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Thanks for the replies.

The important matter is that you are OK with the information that you sought regarding Roll/Crawl Options for the Titler titles.

If I understand this web system (which I do not always), the only person who has the opportunity to mark a particular post correct is the person who originated the thread. And, in this case, you have posted in the thread originated by another.

As always, best wishes with your video projects.

ATR

• 13. Re: Newbie Question on Rolling Title Options
                                  retchemteach Level 1

Thank you.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 7:59 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>