5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2011 1:09 PM by videope

QuickTime and Premiere Pro CS5

videope Level 1

When I go to export my project I don't see QuickTime as a format option.

Let me describe my situation.  I downloaded a particular version of QuickTime (without QuickTime player) to use with MPEC Streamclip in order to copy a video from a DVD to my computer.  After the file was created the video played in Windows Media Player with audio but no video.  QuickTime had created a restore point so I used it to uninstall QuickTime and start over including QuickTime Player.

When I went to reinstall it I got the message "it already exists".  However I don't see QuickTime anywhere and as I said, it is absent from Premiere Pro format options.

Now my questions:  How do I fix this?

If I uninstall and reinstall Premiere Pro will it install QuickTime automatically or should I install QuickTime manually?  If the latter is true which version of QuickTime should I install?

Please help.  I am at a standstill and cannot continue with my project.

• 1. Re: QuickTime and Premiere Pro CS5
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> If I uninstall and reinstall Premiere Pro will it install QuickTime automatically or should I install QuickTime manually?  If the latter is true which version of QuickTime should I install?

Premiere Pro doesn't install QuickTime. You install QuickTime. I'm using 7.6.9 with no problems.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: QuickTime and Premiere Pro CS5
            videope Level 1

I just noticed by pure chance that the QuickTime that I installed went to my Program Files(x86) which is for 32-bit programs.

Do you know if I can install another QuickTime for the 64-bit programs which is what Premiere Pro CS5 uses meaning that I will end up with two QuickTime programs?

And finally, do you think that once I install QuickTime for 64-bit Premiere Pro will show it as a Format option?

• 3. Re: QuickTime and Premiere Pro CS5
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There is no 64-bit QuickTime. We had to create a helper utility to communicate between our software and 32-bit QuickTime. Just install QuickTime normally, and it should work.

• 4. Re: QuickTime and Premiere Pro CS5
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                created a restore point so I used it

Why?  A simple Uninstall would likely have worked fine.  Restore Points should only be used in emergencies, where the Operating System itself is giving you trouble and no longer working properly.

• 5. Re: QuickTime and Premiere Pro CS5
                  videope Level 1

All is well now.

I checked about the QuickTime folder in Program Files (x86) and found that sometimes even though a program has been uninstalled and is not listed in the Control Panel, there could be leftover folders in the C: drive.  In that case one should go ahead and deleted.  I did that and then installed QuickTime 7.  Premiere Pro recognized it and is now listed under the Export > Format options.

Thank for your support.