6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 6:18 AM by Steve Grisetti

Only have audio after importing mpeg2 video into.

JohnSmet

After importing mpeg2 into Pre, I only have the audio portion of the file.  The video is grayed out.

If I play the imported mpeg2, only the audio plays, no video.

Any thoughts as to what is going on?

Thanks for any assistance.

John

• 1. Re: Only have audio after importing mpeg2 video into.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What kind of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, did you select the settings for a Hard Disk/Flash Disk Camcorder?

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

When you imported your video into your Premiere Elements project, did you allow the program to conform the files? (You can watch the conforming progress in the lower right of the program.) The video will not display until it has been conformed.

• 2. Re: Only have audio after importing mpeg2 video into.
            JohnSmet Level 1

Hi Steve,

The 1080 HD video was shot with a Canon PowerShot SX1 SI and was copied over to the harddrive using the card reader built into the laptop.

The camera recorded the video in QuickTime.mov, and I converted it to mpeg2 by using FreeMake Video Converter software.  The new mpeg2 file played fine on the laptop.

I then imported the new mpeg2 file into the Adobe PRE software.  However, I only had audio and no video in the Adobe PRE. The video link was grayed out, while the audio was not grayed out. When I played the imported mpeg2 file, the video was blank red screen while the audio playing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

• 3. Re: Only have audio after importing mpeg2 video into.

I would not recommend using that video converter or those specs. An MPEG2 is not likely the format you want to use in Premiere Elements anyway.

Is this standard definition or hi-def video? The camcorder is capable of shooting in both.

First, I'd try the appropriate DSLR project preset. (There should be both a 1920x1080 and a 640x480.) See if your video loads into it. Ideally, if you're using Premiere Elements 9, this video should show up on the timeline with no red lines above it until you add effects to it.

if that's the case, you're in good shape. Otherwise, I would recommend you convert your video.

But what program you use to convert it and what type of file you convert it to has to do with (a) whether you're shooting in standard or hi-def and, (b) where you ultimately plan to display your movie.

• 4. Re: Only have audio after importing mpeg2 video into.
                JohnSmet Level 1

Hey Steve,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I've been away for a few days.

I shot these videos as hi-def video.

I wasn't sure what format these videos should be converted to.  However, after

some research, I got the impression that I should convert them to MPEG2.  If

this is not the best format, what format do you suggest?  And is there a video

converter software that you would recommend?

Thanks for taking time to respond to me.

John

• 5. Re: Only have audio after importing mpeg2 video into.
                  JohnSmet Level 1

Steve,

I forgot to mention that I am using PRE 8, not PRE 9.

John

• 6. Re: Only have audio after importing mpeg2 video into.

If you are going to work with this type of video, I'd definitely recommend you upgrade to version 9, John. And then, rather than converting the video, use the video directly from the camera with the appropriate project settings, as I discuss above.

You can find more information on setting up a project for various formats in part 1 of my 8-part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0