6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2011 12:18 PM by Dov Isaacs

Printing to pdf question CS5.5 Windows

rollsnut Level 1

I am on a PC - Windows 7 using CS5.5.

- I have created a piece and printed to a pdf.

- When the person on the other end prints out the margins are all off. I realize and pointed out they are using an office printer, not a high end printer. The print out seems to be proportionately reduced towards the middle\center.

- They will have their job done at a Kinko's and I have assured them the Kinko's printer is probably all right and will adjust. I called Kinkos and asked if it needed a specific pdf profile and they said "No."

- I have sent screen shots of the layout showing measure mark every 1/8 of an inch (placed viewable lines on the layout) so they could see how all is measured properly vis-a-vis InDesign.

- I checked and there is zero bleed and gutter (guter doesn't apply in this case but made sure anyway).

QUESTION - Is there anything else I can do\try or can it be the printers we are using.

Thanks for any illumination you can give me.

Respectfully,

B

• 1. Re: Printing to pdf question CS5.5 Windows
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It sounds like your friend is printing from Acrobat with scaling set to fit to printable area, which scales down so the outside of the page, including your margins, is fitting inside the image area of his printer, essentially approximately doubling the margin size while also reducing the size of everything else.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Printing to pdf question CS5.5 Windows
            rollsnut Level 1

Which relates back to my printer theory...my margins ar 1/4 inch and I don't think normal printers can handle that like pro ones....maybe I'm off base.

• 3. Re: Printing to pdf question CS5.5 Windows
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Non-printing margins of around 1/4 inch are pretty normal for laser printers these days, but the real point is that your friend should turn off page scaling (it's on by default) and either let the printer clip off the edges becuase the image area is too small for the live area of your document, or let the margins be large because you've sent a file that is samller than the page size in the printer. You want your work to print at the size you created it, not scaled to some arbitrary size to fit a page's printable area.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Printing to pdf question CS5.5 Windows
                rollsnut Level 1

Peter -

Please respond back so I can give you the "correct answer" as well - I got her through her printer settings and she is now a happy camper!

B

• 6. Re: Printing to pdf question CS5.5 Windows
                  Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Although you didn't ask about this specifically, your original post mentions that you printed to a PDF. My assumption is that you were saying that you created the PDF file by printing to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance.

Be aware that Adobe absolutely recommends that PDF from InDesign be created by using the export function instead of the printing to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance or in any other way creating PDF via distillation of PostScript. Direct PDF export from InDesign (and the equivalent save as PDF from Illustrator and Photoshop) yields the most accurate and reliable PDF. The PostScript produced by Adobe applications is optimized for direct printing, not for PDF creation and is often very device dependent. Live transparency and color management is effectively lost and fonts are not optimized. There are other problems and issues as well. Please keep this in mind when creating PDF in the future.

Adobe does provide PDF generation capabilities as part of Acrobat via the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance as a “method of last resorts” to provide PDF creation services for applications for which there is no other or better way of PDF production.

- Dov