9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2011 9:40 AM by redpointone

table of contents

redpointone Level 1

Seems to be corrupted, will not delete. Have attempted to select type with no success.

Also, is there a spacing for a numberred paragraph style, from the bullets and numbering, there is only indent/tab - spacing between number and word/characters?

• 1. Re: table of contents
          John Hawkinson Level 5
          Seems to be corrupted, will not delete. Have attempted to select type with no success.

Try: Clean  corrupt files by exporting to Interchange Format (.idml): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

Also, is there a spacing for a numberred paragraph style, from the bullets and numbering, there is only indent/tab - spacing between number and word/characters?

Did you miss a word?

• 2. Re: table of contents
            redpointone Level 1

Can the space inbetween the last number and the first character be set.

1.12     Heading Text

So, between the "2" and "H". As I recall, only the indent or tab position can be set for the "H". The issue here is as the number list grows, there is a spacing issues.

1.12     Heading Text

See would then need to increase to accomodate the low and high numbers, and when properly spaced for the high, it's too far away for the low. Ideally, a few characters spacing after the nuber would be fine, as then the spacing is consistent for all range/qty of numbers, low to high. Possible?

• 3. Re: table of contents
              redpointone Level 1

Does exporting retain styles?

• 4. Re: table of contents
                redpointone Level 1

Exported to .inx, Table of Contents stil unresponsive. Then just clicked to activate the text frame (blue lined-box), pressed delete, then could select text.. Closed the .inx copy to try on original, same procedure - worked. Not sure why "deleting" it worked, was still there afterword anyway.

• 5. Re: table of contents
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like you have two frames, one withthe TOC, and another empty one in front. Could be caused by flowing the TOC into a master text frame if ther was another frame on the page.

There is no way with automatic numbering to have a fixed width between the last digit and the first word, but you could convert the automatic numbering to text, then substitute a fixed width space for the tab. Probably scriptable. I'm presuming that your numbering does not hang? Changing the indent as the numbers grow would look odd.

• 6. Re: table of contents
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

redpointone wrote:

Does exporting retain styles?

If you mean to .idml, yes.

• 7. Re: table of contents
                      redpointone Level 1

Re: the frame over frame issue, sounds possible. I don't recall there being another one already on the page, except it being from the Master. Perhaps at some point when replacing the TOC I shift clicked.

Yes, the spacing is dead, it will be (fixed vs. absolute - my definitions somewhat differing) fixed as is, but would be nice to have the spacing absolute (the same distance/spacing for all). Symantics.

• 8. Re: table of contents
                        redpointone Level 1

Yes to .idml, yes I see the styles to carry. Any way to export styles to a new document/template, without having to strip the content and resave the file?

• 9. Re: table of contents
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

In the new document choose choose Pargraph Styles > Load Paragraph Styles and select the source document. or Load All Text Styles if you want character styles, too.