4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 7:56 PM by gamzu07

Video Absolute Position after Motion Stabilization

gamzu07

I'm not sure if this is the best way to accomplish the task, but what I'm trying to do is stabilize different sections of a video clip.  I have imported a video file roughly 30 minutes long into premiere pro and the same video into after effects.  The video resolution was shot in 1080p and I've created 720p sequences/compositions so I'll have some extra pixels to work with.  There are several times in the video clip where I have some shaky cam moments, so the goal was to take these sections from premiere over to after effects to stabilize the motion and bring back the stabilized clips.  If you have a better workflow than what I'm doing, let me know.

The issue I'm having is that I can't get the absolute position of the video clip in after effects after stabilizing the motion so I can line it perfectly back in premiere pro.  The position attribute of the video in after effects will obviously not line up the video when used in premiere because motion stabilization has been applied.  How can I find the absolute position off the video in after effects to put in premiere?

Also, would the normal workflow involve exporting the new stabilized clip from after effects and importing into premiere and placing it over the current video file lined up exactly?  If so, what should my export setting be to not lose quality?  Because it will then be rendered again when I render the premiere sequence.

• 1. Re: Video Absolute Position after Motion Stabilization
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this. Place your clip in a Premiere timeline. Right click on clip and select Replace with After Effects Composition, Now stabilize in AE and your clip is stabilized in Premiere. There will be no need to adjust position in Premiere.

This does require a suite. It's called dynamic link and it's a huge timesaver.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video Absolute Position after Motion Stabilization
            gamzu07 Level 1

I thought about doing that, but I don't want to stabilize the whole 30 minute clip, just about five 20-30 second different clips within the main clip.  That is a good point though, about using the dynamic link.  I could cut the main clip into different sections and go stabilize them individually, but I still run into the same issue, once the clip ends, the position from the after effects clip doesn't line up with the continuation of the video in premiere.  If there was some way to know the absolute position of the video in after effects after applying stabilization, I could just interpolate between them to have it match with the other clips in premiere.

• 3. Re: Video Absolute Position after Motion Stabilization
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't have to stabilize the entire clip. If you stop the tracking at one point then the clip will stay at that position until you restart the tracking. You could assign different trackers to each section you wish to stabilize, then apply each tracker to a different null, then parent the footage to null 1 (tracker 1) then null 1 to null 2 and so on to complete the shot. This would also allow you to set some position keyframes in the clip to slowly bring it back to a good starting point for the next section that you want to stabilize.

I hope you followed that. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 4. Re: Video Absolute Position after Motion Stabilization
                gamzu07 Level 1

Thanks, think I got it.