7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2011 8:04 PM by John Hawkinson

Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?

Andrew Dalton

Hi all,

Apologies for asking a question that I've seen posted and answered, but I'm wondering if there is a simpler solution than the plug-in suggested.

I have lost a few of the fonts I regularly use. They appear in Font Book and are enabled, but they are not available in InDesign. The missing fonts are available to me in other programs (e.g Word) so they are definitely on the system.

I was given advice to check in Home > Library > Application Support > Adobe > InDesign > Fonts, but there is no folder called "InDesign" within the Adobe folder of that path, so I don't know if that was good advice.

Of course (always the way, isn't it?) I've noticed this problem one week out from my deadline to the printer, so would really appreciate resolving it quickly.

Thank you in advance,

Andrew

• 1. Re: Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

It is probably not that InDesign cannot find the fonts (all apps can see them!), but rather it does not like them.

What fonts, exactly, are we talking about?

Also, if you hit Cmd-I in Font Book, what is their version string?

• 2. Re: Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

And have you scrolled throughthe whole list. ID sorts fonts in what can seem like strange ways, sometimes

• 3. Re: Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?
              talaya white Level 1

Deleting troublesome fonts from Font Book (or Suitcase, or Font Explorer, etc.) and re-adding them from the original file often works for me. Sometimes they get sleepy, and sometimes they get corrupt, and sometimes InDesign just decides it doesn't want to use that font.
              Also try restarting your computer in Safe Mode (hold down shift when restarting) and zapping the p-ram (cmd + opt + p + r when restarting). It could just be a scrambled permissions setting and this will fix it.

• 4. Re: Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, if your goal is to make the problem go away without

understanding it, thus reducing the liklihood you'll understand the

cause and prevent it from recurring in the future...

"Sometimes they get sleepy" is an attitude that really bothers me at a

deep level. Programs shouldn't break. And when they do, we should make

the effort to understand why they do. And report those problems back

to the manufacturers, who should be given the opportunity to fix

them. Even if we think they won't.

Programs break for reasons. Sometimes complicated and tricky

reasons. Sometimes reasons we can't actually figure out. But sometimes

reasons that we can. And we need to take the effort to figure out

why. Or at least try to a reasonable effort.

It is our moral duty. Otherwise the programmers who author the

software will have no opportunity to fix the problems, and thousands

of user across this green earth will be forced to deal with the same

problems we deal with regularly, for years and years, all because no

one was willing to take the minimal effort to figure out what was

broken and why.

Don't lie down and say "oh, it just broken again, I accept that i have

to jump through this hoop to fix it periodically." That's just not the

way it should work, and it doesn't have to be that way.

• 5. Re: Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?
                  Andrew Dalton Level 1

Thanks Talaya,

I tried your suggestions. It didn't work for me, but it was a sensible approach to the problem and worth trying, unlike the ridiculous "advice" given by another replier to my question, which I'll answer separately. I appreciate your input.

• 6. Re: Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?
                    Andrew Dalton Level 1

Normally I'd just ignore your kind of reply, but the offensive tone and silly commentary make it worth a few minutes of my time.

Understanding things is indeed a good idea. But often people don't have the time or lack the desire to get into the detailed reasons for why a problem is occurring, they just want to fix it. You would have more credibility if you had spent half the amount words in your reply in actually proposing a solution. That's actually the idea of a community forum.

As for "moral duty", I think these words are more commonly applied to standing up against injustice or for things that are worth fighting for, not learning how to fix a software problem.

• 7. Re: Missing fonts in CS4 – how to install?
                      John Hawkinson Level 5
                      You would have more credibility if you had spent half the amount words in your reply in actually proposing a solution. That's actually the idea of a community forum.

Did  you miss my request to you for more information prior to my response to Ms. White?

It is probably not that InDesign cannot find the fonts (all apps can see them!), but rather it does not like them.

What fonts, exactly, are we talking about?

Also, if you hit Cmd-I in Font Book, what is their version string?

I suppose it was not exactly "proposing a solution" but it was rather close to implying one ("remove the broken fonts") and specific in its desire for more information that was pertinent.