7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 7:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Best way to structure my assets on disk ?

Mr Nielsen

Hi

Running PrEl 9 I have two build in disks on my PC, one SSD disk 100GB (main purpose to hold all SW, but still amount left for "other" purposes if needed) and one 1TB additional disk.

What would be the best way to structure all assets.....when looking into PrEL 9 menus, there are different locations to be specified for audio, cache files etc etc...could someone please give me suggestions for how to structure my file system folders, like a "best-practice" approach for my assets and project files.

Also, how should I think when it comes to dividing the different assets across multiple physical disks (given that I have these two separate disks mentioned). I realize of course that more disks into the system probably would be good, but intention is to make it as good as possible with the existing one's

Greatful for examples and suggestion on exactelly how to set up the base structure

Thanks a lot !

//H

• 1. Re: Best way to structure my assets on disk ?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I had only 2 drives I had OS (Windows) and programs on boot drive, and EVERYTHING else on the 2nd drive

Worked well for me

• 2. Re: Best way to structure my assets on disk ?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, in my books I recommend that, whenever you start a new Premiere Elements project, save the project file in a new folder on your second hard drive.

This will keep all of the tmp files, render files, etc., in one neat place. It's not only good housekeeping, but it makes it easy to remove old projects when you are done with them.

• 3. Re: Best way to structure my assets on disk ?
              Ted Smith Level 3

Interesting how people have different opinions on this

I have a slow computer with minimum memory and I found the biggest imporvement was having the video files on a seperate disk to the saved projerct files.

Regarding the program, this should largely be running in memory most of the thie, once loaded.

Whenevere you select a different effect, this extra effect to the ones in use will be called up from the program disk but this is a once only operation.

Thers hould be little advantage in having the program on a different disk except for these occasions.

The operating system will be continually called on so I found a considerable increase in speed by havoing three disks

C: OS & PE9 program  & pagefile.sys

E: All input video files

F: All project files and caches (set with PE9 optoipns)

I originally had 2 disks in a RAID but the result was much faster when I de-raided them and ran tham as independent drives.

I only then had to buy one 500gb third disk for my video files (for $45)

• 4. Re: Best way to structure my assets on disk ?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree that 3 is better than 2... I now have 3 drives

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                3 - 1T WD all video files... input & output files

• 5. Re: Best way to structure my assets on disk ?
                  Mr Nielsen Level 1

but what about the way o structure all bits an pieces (assets) for my proje

cts. If I go preferences-scratch disk -

I see that there are different folders for video files/audio files/preview files/audio previews/media cache/disc encoding.....should I make some dort of predefined folder structure for each project holding separate disk folders for each of these "categories" of files ? I guess what u are saying is that all these things should reference location on the same disk (in my case the additional disk not holding OS) but should I preferably set up individual folders for all projects for these different files? what is common pactice here (if such common practice exists)

//H

• 6. Re: Best way to structure my assets on disk ?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Set those scratch file preferences to Same as Project.

Then, if you take my advice and create a new folder for each new project, those sub-file folders will all stay without the same folder as your project. That's the neatest way to work with them.

• 7. Re: Best way to structure my assets on disk ?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I am a big fan of the 3x minimum HDD setup too, but then am faced with wanting to keep all of my Assets with my Project file too, so break out the additional HDD(s) with Exports/Shares, etc.

For my Project, I create a new root folder for each Project (it might be one level down, if I already have a "Client folder."

Below that Project folder, I add sub-folders for:

Videos

Captures

Music

SFX

Audio

Stills

I then copy any "library" Assets into the required sub-folder (the originals are left on my NAS for safe keeping). My Scratch Disks are also located "Same as Project."

There is a slight trade-off in ultimate performance, I have everything self-contained. This offers me two bonuses: I can easily migrate my Projects between machines, if I have located the Project, Scratch Disks and Copies of my Assets onto a FW-800, or eSATA external, and when done, I only have to Delete the Project folder, and everything involved in that Project goes away with one click. Note: I never Move any library Assets to those sub-folder, but ONLY Copies. The originals are all safe elsewhere.

Just my workflow,

Hunt