32 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2011 10:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues

IneedHelpToday

Hello!

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and using Premiere Pro CS5.5.

I record HD videos using a Canon EOS 7D in .mov format. I don't have any issues importing these files to Premiere, but I do have problems with the convered equivalents. I'm currently using AVS Video Converter 7 to convert the original files to .AVI files.

The main difference between the two versions (original and converted) is the bitrate and audio codec, but Premiere only imports audio when I drag the .avi file to it. What strikes me dumb is that a poor editor like Camtasia Studio has no problems reading the files (both the audio and video track), but Premiere does.

I also have the MainConcept Codec Suite, but that doesn't help.

Can someone please give me a better solution than telling me to convert the converted videos back to a format supported by Premiere? I would prefere jugling with codecs and make it work rather than spending time converting videos back and forth.

Intel Core i7 920, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 295.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Why are you converting in the first place?

And what codec are you using the create the AVI file?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
            IneedHelpToday Level 1

My job requires me to keep all the videos I record, the problem is that I can't afford to store 30-60 GBs a day, so I'm compressing them to save space. Another issue is that I am not editing the sequences as they arive and even if I do, sometimes I need to edit older videos (that are compressed).

Here's a screenshot from G-Spot on one of the compressed files:

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/7216/snagstridery11m06d11h19.png

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
              Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

The originals are already compressed to the max.  You aren't doing yourself any favors by compressing them further.

I'd recommend simply getting more hard drive space.  A 1TB drive is going for about $60 these days.  That'll hold 70+ hours of original 7D footage.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                IneedHelpToday Level 1

I'm not concerned with video quality, the compressed ones are looking good. As for disk space, I'm also required to keep backup copies, so I can't really store 1TB (+1TB backup on external drive) every 1-2 weeks.

Until now I have imported the compressed videos to Camtasia Studio (which reads the files just fine), exported from Camtasia and then imported to Premiere for editing. I am tired of this time consuming routine and I'd like to have the videos recognized directly by Premiere.

It's kind of funny how a crippled video editor like Camtasia Studio can read the files fine while Premiere "Pro" only reads audio, and dramatic that there isn't any immediate solution for making Premiere recognize the files. How is Camtasia able to load the needed codecs and Premiere not?

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                  MA MOHR Level 1

Unfortunatley I don't have a solution for you... I feel your pain. I have a similar post. The AVI codec I'm trying to play is close to yours: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. The only way I found was to use a file converter from Leawo. Even Sorenson Squeeze can't convert it. At least the Leawo product is cheap. I'll be watching yours and my posts. If I get an answer before you I'll let you know.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                    shooternz Level 6

You kind of have a few issues going on here.

You dont want your footage to take up HD space and you dont seem to need any high quality source.

Why are you shooting on a 7D then ?

Your footage plays fine with PPRO according to you

I don't have any issues importing these files to Premiere, but I do have problems with the convered equivalents. I'm currently using AVS Video Converter 7 to convert the original files to .AVI files.

...but you need to convert it because of the "space issue".  ( ie. dumb it down by compressing it)

Why not ...use AME to convert it?

Some flavour of Avid DNxHD might suit you.

What quality do you need and what is your final objective?

Do you actually dump the source files once you have converted them to save space?  !!!!

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                      IneedHelpToday Level 1

Except the guy that has a similar issue to mine, everybody's asking me why am I doing this and that, but no one is giving some advice for solving my immediate issue. I'm aware that you're all trying to help me (for free) and telling me that the way I work may not be the best way, but that simply doesn't explain why a handicapped editor like Camtasia is able to load my clips properly while Premiere PRO only loads audio.

Why are you shooting on a 7D then?

Because I don't want to buy a Full HD camcorder.

Why not ...use AME to convert it?

Why can't Premiere PRO import a file properly while the crippled Camtasia Studio editor has no issue (i.e. imports the clip with both audio and video and also runs smoothly)?

What quality do you need and what is your final objective?

I need the quality the compressed file has and my final objective is to deliver it edited.

Do you actually dump the source files once you have converted them to save space?

Not always, but as I stated before, I sometimes need to use older clips which are already compressed.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro can't import your converted files because it simply wasn't designed to work with them.  Something about them is off as far as PP is concerned.

So, you need to change the way you work.

As an aside, I have to admit I'm curious about what kind of job requires you to shoot 7 hours of footage a day but doesn't pay enough to buy a couple hard drives every two weeks.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                          shooternz Level 6

You have already said that Premiere can import and edit your source footage.

The fact it cant import a converted file from a "big button" converter  like AVS is not a Premiere issue.  It doesnt guarantee it will because it is a pro NLE.,

Your issue is very different to the other guy who is trying to import footage from a security camera kind of set up.  He doesnt have a storage issue like yours.

I need the quality the compressed file has and my final objective is to deliver it edited.
                          Do you actually dump the source files once you have converted them to save space?

Not always, but as I stated before, I sometimes need to use older clips which are already compressed.

If you dont dump the source file...you aint saving any space.

Delivering it "edited" means nothing.

no one is giving some advice for solving my immediate issue.

I advised you to "convert it in AME.  What was wrong with that advice?

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                            IneedHelpToday Level 1
                            Premiere Pro can't import your converted files because it simply wasn't designed to work with them.  Something about them is off as far as PP is concerned.

I understand it wasn't designed to work with compressed files, I'm using Premiere since v6.

As an aside, I have to admit I'm curious about what kind of job requires you to shoot 7 hours of footage a day but doesn't pay enough to buy a couple hard drives every two weeks.

I said 30-60 GBs a day, that means 1-3 hours in HD, not 7 hours of footage a day. I am recording student classes as part of a bigger project, that doesn't earn me a lot of money, I get the full payment after it's all done. And frankly, I do not want to manage dozens of hard disks. I have 2xCheetah 15K Hard Drives (600GB) in SAS RAID0 as temp storage for editing and 6x 1.5TB SATA drives for storing projects and a lot more external drives for backups and older projects... so I really don't want to handle more (also saving some money).

The fact it cant import a converted file from a "big button" converter like AVS is not a Premiere issue.  It doesnt guarantee it will because it is a pro NLE.,

From my point of view it is a big issue not being able to somehow make Premiere interpret the converted files properly while a poor editor can handle them without problems.

If you dont dump the source file...you aint saving any space.

I do remove the source files after converting them, but not always immediately after conversion.

Delivering it "edited" means nothing.

You asked me what is my final objective... I'll try to be more specific. My final objective is to get paid, but for that I need to edit the clips I recorded, and some of them are older clips which I compressed and that can not be imported to Premiere without losing time temporarily converting them back to files that Premiere can digest.

I advised you to "convert it in AME.  What was wrong with that advice?

Converting it in AME isn't a solution to importing my already compressed files to Premiere.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              I said 30-60 GBs a day, that means 1-3 hours in HD

From the 7D?  That's not right.  1 hours worth of that media will be roughly 13GB.

Anyway, I still think you're going about it the wrong way.  Enough storage for original media, however much space it requires, should have been planned from the start.

Good luck with your project.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                IneedHelpToday Level 1

You either own a 7D and never checked the file sizes or you have no idea what you're talking about.

3 minutes \approx \!\, 1 GB (again, in HD: 1280x720 @ 50fps)

And once again, thanks for the support, but I am looking for a solution to my issue, not for advice on what you think would be best practice.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I have 7D footage on my hard dive right now.  4.5 minutes takes up about 660MB.  Which is right in line with AVCHD running at 12 to 13 GB per hour.

As for the solution...what I'm saying is that the "best practice" IS the solution.  You're creating a problem by not following the best practice.  If you follow that best practice, you will stop creating the problem.

See?

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                    banzemanga Level 1

@IneedHelpToday

I understand your problem and reasoning behind it.

Why a professional tool doesn't have the capability a crappy editor does?

Well, nothing will be resolved by complaining about it.

What you should be doing is to request this feature.

However, i am curious why MainConcept Codec Suite can't import your file.

Have you tried using a different video container differnt than *.avi?

I import H.264/AVC videos using *.m2ts to PremierePro using MainConcept with no problems.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      Why a professional tool doesn't have the capability a crappy editor does?

I dont know the answer to that but I do know ..you do have the choice to use the tool that does the job you want it to do ....the way you want it done.

Most people using Premiere want to maintain high quality...not throw it away by using converters.

Editing native is seen by most to be a huge PLUS!

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                        banzemanga Level 1

shooternz wrote:

Most people using Premiere want to maintain high quality...not throw it away by using converters.

It feels very ironic because i am trying to use PremierePro to transcode using the original settings of my video and i can't do that. I happened to post a thread about that. I am assuming that it is because i don't know how to do that. If you do know, can you post the answer either here or in my thread?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/864060?tstart=0

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                          IneedHelpToday Level 1

@Jim Simon

I have 7D footage on my hard dive right now.  4.5 minutes takes up about 660MB.  Which is right in line with AVCHD running at 12 to 13 GB per hour.

I don't know what kind of footage you got, but I download recordings from it daily and I think that entitles me to say I know better. Maybe what you've got isn't original 7D HD footage.

As for the solution...what I'm saying is that the "best practice" IS the solution.  You're creating a problem by not following the best practice.  If you follow that best practice, you will stop creating the problem.

I already have problems. To be more specific, I'm not looking for future advice, but for ways of solving the problems I currently have. Telling me what to do from now on won't help me import and use in Premiere the already compressed files.

@banzemanga

Well, nothing will be resolved by complaining about it.

What you should be doing is to request this feature.

I'm not complaining as much as I'm saying Premiere is really PRO.

However, i am curious why MainConcept Codec Suite can't import your file.

Have you tried using a different video container differnt than *.avi?

Yes, I have tried a dozen, but to no avail.

@shooternz

I'm using native files too, it's just that I don't keep them that way for years.

Editing native is seen by most to be a huge PLUS!

Yes, I would say CPU-wise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------

Later in the evening I have found what seems to be the best solution to my issue.

AVS Video ReMaker and MainConcept can do wonders together when it comes to importing compressed files to Premiere PRO. AVS Video ReMaker's MP4 export almost instantly converts files with no quality loss and very close to the source file's size, and these MP4 files are recognized as native clips in Premiere (with stereo audio track and clean responsive video) thanks to MainConcept. It is excellent! The only downside is that the CPU gets more stressed (about 20-30% more of a Core i7 920), but the compressed video runs smooth (HD@50fps), needs no rendering and takes the same ammount of space as the source compressed file.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                            Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Well after all those replies you should have your answer .May I suggest that  you use Premiere Elements 4 to convert the H.264mov files to Microsoft AVI/uncompressed by using it's Export to Movie . Open the resultant  avi.file up in Premiere Pro and you should have no issues. Note, we do it all the time with H.264 mov from a Canon 5D Mark II which produces larger mov files to the 7D.I am surprised you cannot do it in PP 5.5. There appears to be no loss of quality, check out Properties of the clip.

And visually check the 1920 x 1080  or 1440  x 1080 clips on a very good monitor

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                              IneedHelpToday Level 1
                                              Well after all those replies you should have your answer

No, I actually got my answer after trying out a couple dozens of applications until I found AVS Video ReMaker the most suitable for quickly converting compressed files to files that Premiere would digest with the help of the MainConcept renderer (without losing quality or increasing file size, just a little more CPU stress).

May I suggest that  you use Premiere Elements 4 to convert the H.264mov files to Microsoft AVI/uncompressed by using it's Export to Movie . Open the resultant  avi.file up in Premiere Pro and you should have no issues.

I already have no issues with source 7D .MOV files, the MainConcept renderer does a good job in this regard.

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                Maybe what you've got isn't original 7D HD footage.

I shot it myself on a 7D.  I transferred it myself from the card to the hard drive.  It is 7D footage.

ways of solving the problems I currently have.

Fair enough.  For the current unconverted footage, stop converting it and keep the originals.  Buy more hard drives.  For the already converted footage, convert it again to something that Premiere Pro will edit.

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                  IneedHelpToday Level 1

I shot it myself on a 7D.  I transferred it myself from the card to the hard drive.  It is 7D footage.

If you're downloading yours from the Internet, then your footage is the one in question.

Notice the selected file? It's a .MOV 1GB file, 720p@50fps, having a length of 3 minutes. Do the maths... actually allow me to:  Let x be the number of GB for 1 hour of footage that takes 1GB for 3 minutes. Then x GB = 60 minutes * 1 GB / 3 minutes   ;   x GB = 20 GB. See, 20GB/hour, just as I stated several posts ago.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4859/snagstridery11m06d14h20.png

For the current unconverted footage, stop converting it and keep the originals.  Buy more hard drives.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but even my grandma could have gave that piece of advice if I were to ask for it. Still, I am converting footage to save money and to better manage multiple clips- buying more hard drives is kind of against both aspects.

For the already converted footage, convert it again to something that Premiere Pro will edit.

Luckily enough I knew I had to do that when I realized Premiere won't edit the converted footage. I came here to ask for solutions, like how to make Premiere recognize the converted footage. Now I'm not interested anymore to find an answer to that since I found a way to almost instantly convert compressed footage (without losing any quality and with no major increase in file size) to clips that are accepted by Premiere, don't require rendering and play smoothly.

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Your data rate is considerably higher than mine.  My 1080 clips, recorded at Max Quality, show a data rate of only 19822 (which is fairly in line with AVCHd specs).

Curious.

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                      accept my screen name dam

I am having the same problem of Premiere Pro only importing the audio from my files According to GSpot I have the codec installed. I'm frustrated. I make $100 a week and my husband who pays just about all thei bills, chose this for me for Christmas instead of the tree service potentially saving our garage and bought this software for me. I've been without Adobe since my system crashed about a year ago. So excited to use it and CAN'T?

What I need, is an answer. A simple solution. Not a bunch of arguments about file sizes. Thanks.

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Accept,

Welcome to the forum.

Is your Source Footage also AVCHD?

If not, can you please give us the full specs. of your Source Footage?

Behavior, such as this, is common with AVI files, containing the Xvid, or DivX CODEC's, but real AVCHD should not exhibit such. That is why I asked.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - This ARTICLE talks about "wrappers," that we see as file formats, and also gives some tips on "peeking inside those wrappers."

• 25. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                          accept my screen name dam Level 1

Thanks Bill.

this? H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

some more details

12.4 MB (12,798 KB / 13,106,144 bytes)

1280 x 720

audio  0x0002 (ADPCM)  44100Hz  177 kb/s (1 chnl)

Feeling a bit like Roy Neary, I know this means something.

• 26. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yep, that's the info.

What Sequence Preset have you chosen?

As a test, with your Project Open, and your AVCHD Clip(s) Imported into the Project Panel, disregard any Sequences, and instead, just drag one of those Clips to the New Icon, to create a matching Sequence:

newitemicon.png

Does that work better?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - What version on QT do you have installed?

• 27. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues

unfortunately no...:( same problem. audio only

• 29. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

One common version of H.264 is automatically installed with QT Player. Not sure which others might get installed. That was why I added the PS, but not sure that you saw it, as it was an afterthought, because of the H.264 CODEC.

BTW - what camera shot this footage? Maybe something there?

Good luck, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, cannot remember which version is required for CS 5/5.5, and mostly for MOV containers, but I would update to the latest, and try one more time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues

still nadda unfortunately. It was shot on an Omni 2 footage plays fine in

other players-- frustrating!

• 32. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 and H.264/AVC video import issues
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I do not know the Omni 2. Some camera mfgrs. play very fast and loose with the H.264 CODEC, and tweak it unmercifully. Then, some wrap the H.264 in a non-standard "AVI" wrapper, and that alone can cause PrPro issues.

Wish I had more, and maybe someone with an Omni 2 can offer some tips and tricks.

Good luck,

Hunt