7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 9:08 AM by Nigel Chapman

(CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export

Iain Robinson Level 1

Hi all

Another problem with bullets - in my document there are some bullets added in by a GREP, and formatted with a character style. I have tagged the char style to a span so that when ID exports the xhtml I can see the bullets are contained in span tags but ID has added extra formatting info in the tag (in bold below);

<span class="bullet" style="font-size:1em;">●</span>

This contradicts the size in the class definition and seems to take priority. The class definition is otherwise being honoured (I can change the colour in the CSS file and see it change) but how can I get round ID adding in this spurious size?

thanks,

Iain

• 1. Re: (CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Bullets added in by grep? Can you explain more about what you did? That might lead to an answer.

Bob

• 2. Re: (CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export
            Iain Robinson Level 1

Hi Bob.

As far as the GREP is concerned, we searched for a para with the appropriate style and then added a bullet character in at the beginning of the para, and applied a char style to it. The para itself wasn't using a list - we were in effect simulating a bulleted list. I don't recall why we did it that way, because we could have used the bulleted list feature in the para style and then applied that char style to the bullet. As far as I can see that does the same thing in Indesign. I'd need to check with the operator on Monday - there may have been a reason, although not necessarily a good one!

When I use the bulleted list method above and export that to ePub the I find that it solves my other problem, from yesterday "(CS5.5 ePubs) Problem with bullet/unordered list") - the indent now stops after the bulleted list, as it should. But that has lead me to a supplementary problem - I would like to have a coloured bullet with black text. This is in an attempt to match the print job, but this may not be possible/practical. I've looked and it is certainly possible (in html/css, so probably in ePub) either using an image for the bullet or adding some extra code into the html. I'm not keen on either as I'm trying to streamline ePub production for this job down to a minimum - have all the styling in the external CSS file and minimal edits in Sigil. Ever come across this issue in ePubs?

• 3. Re: (CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export
              My best advice is to stop trying to match a print layout with Epub. It's an exercise in futility. Just use bulleted lists and map the paragraph style to the
              in the CSS.

Bob
              • 4. Re: (CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export
                Iain Robinson Level 1

I know we can't match it but I'm still at the stage of trying things out to see how many things we can carry over from the print job into the ePub. So far, not many - but it is useful to try. Think I'll give up on the fancy bulleted list and move onto the next issue. Thanks for your input.

At the end of the last para we add a bullet, styled by the same char style, and (as I said in my first post) the code ID generates contains a size, which we don't want. Surely ID shouldn't be adding in code like that though?

• 5. Re: (CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export
                  Command Q

I too am having trouble with bullets coming out of ID into an ePub format.  Bob I have even followed your suggestions above with bulleted lists and mapping paragraph styles to them.  No matter what I try every time the copy in my sub-bullets, ( secondary bullets, or second level bullets), appears in bold format.  Is there anyway I can export an ePub from ID 5.5 where my sub-bullets aren't heavier or more bold than the bullets one level above?  I'm assuming I can correct this issue in the CSS file, (haven't yet tried this), but I'd rather just have a clean export.

Any advice you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

• 6. Re: (CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export

Best thing to do is crack open the epub and check to see that your LI or UL tags aren't somehow getting some sort of class assigned to them.

Bob

• 7. Re: (CS5.5 ePub) ID adding unwanted code to ePub export
                      Nigel Chapman

I'm seeing similar things with some, but not all, character styles. If I choose Style Names Only under CSS options, InDesign does create a skeleton stylesheet with no properties being set, but for certain styles it adds style attributes to the span elements that set the font size, just like in your bullet example, but in my case these are styles that have been applied explicitly to spans of text. Same thing happens after I've made my own stylesheet and tell InDesign to use it. The inline style attributes always take precedence over the stylesheet rules, so I see no alternative to opening the ePub and stripping them out. Which gets tedious.

I'd call it a bug, but perhaps there is some logic behind this that I don't appreciate.