6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 12:25 PM by Klegg72

Transparency

Klegg72

Hello,

I am working in InDesign making a flyer.  I would really like to have a shadow on several of my frames.  However, transparency is frowned upon by several print shops in my area (all the good ones).  When I export using Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) so I can use the flattener I see lines around all the objects with shadows; when I export using any other PDF version the transparency remains and my PDF gets rejected from the printer.

Is there any way to enable shadows/transparency on InDesign developed PDFs?

Thanks

CHAD

• 1. Re: Transparency
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you have Acrobat Pro you can try exporting from ID using Acrobat 5 compatibility to keep the transparency live, then use the PDF Optimizer in Acrobat to flatten the transparency, but no guarantee it will be better.

Seriously, it's time to find a printer who can handle live transparency.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Transparency
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Klegg72 wrote:

However, transparency is frowned upon by several print shops in my area (all the good ones).

That's a contradictory statement if I've ever seen one! Any modern print shop would accept an exported PDF with live transparency.

Bob

• 3. Re: Transparency
              dylw Level 1

Bob's right, any decent printer would be able to accept transparency these days.

Anyway  don't stress about the lines, I know they appear horrible when viewing  the PDF, but you will find the closer you zoom in, the more the lines  dissapear, they won't show up in print (That is if you use a decent  printer).

• 4. Re: Transparency
                Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

There's the challenge ... a decent printer!

- Dov

• 5. Re: Transparency
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

dylw wrote:

Anyway  don't stress about the lines, I know they appear horrible when viewing  the PDF, but you will find the closer you zoom in, the more the lines  dissapear, they won't show up in print (That is if you use a decent  printer).

Stitching lines will annoy most users who view your PDF on screen, and will most definitely show up in print on any device they have at home to make a print for themselves.

• 6. Re: Transparency
                    Klegg72 Level 1

I was getting hung up in a pre-flight simply because it is for all machines.  My rep printed it whithout passing pre-flight and I was fine... still what a pain right.

I will try flattening it in Acrobat next time thank you.