12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 11:54 AM by RjL190365

Video playback stutters on new system

vonpeeler Level 1

Just bought new iMac running CS5

iMac 12.2

4gb ram

512mb AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics

i5 processor 2.7gb

Working on HD video project with 1080p from the canon 5D. When I play back several clips/simultaneous tracks it tends to stutter. No major effects/plug-in used either. Do I need more RAM or a better video card??? Shouldn't my current system be more than sufficient to handle bigger workloads than this? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

It appears your card is not an approved Adobe one, however I suggest you render the timeline as you go. My son uses a Mac not up to your size but, runs only iMovie with no problems, but Final Cut Pro does not work for him.  Good luck.

• 2. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
            vonpeeler Level 1

rendering doesn't make much of a difference.

• 3. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Well first of all you could see if you could add more memory, and not knowing iMac's I suspect that you probably have only one disk drive.  Two disk drives is a clear system requirement for doing what you are trying to do.

• 4. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                RjL190365 Level 4

Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do with that iMac: The graphics is not user-upgradable at all because it is permanently fixed onto the system's motherboard, and the board has no internal expansion slots at all. Worse, there is no provision at all whatsoever for any internal drives other than what's already been preinstalled into the system, and most iMacs have only USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 800 port for external device expansion. Without knowing the exact model of iMac you have I cannot determine whether or not it is one of the newest Thunderbolt-equipped iMacs.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                  vonpeeler Level 1

yes it has two Thunderbolt ports

• 6. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The Thunderbolt ports will not help. The CPU is the basic problem, an i5 is just not powerfull enough and add that your video card does not support hardware MPE and your memory is limited and you only have a single disk that may even be a 5400 RPM model and you have all the ingredients for a slow performing system with that source material.

Look here Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5 and see where you are missing out for difficult codecs.

• 7. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                      Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

RMA the Imac and get a tower PC which you can upgrade to meet the system requirements, or go for a mac pro if your budget is not limited.

• 8. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                        RjL190365 Level 4

I investigated further, and discovered that it uses an i5-2500S processor - a gimped, reduced-power edition of the i5-2500 CPU. And given that even the regular i5-2500 barely keeps pace with an i7-920 when both CPUs are at their stock speeds, it's no surprise that the i5-2500S is only on a par with the fastest of the Core 2 Quad CPUs when it comes to CS5.x. And as I stated earlier, no current iMac has upgradable graphics at all - nor are they available with any Nvidia GPU at all. And Thunderbolt would not have helped because it offers no native RAID support at all (RAID must be provided by the Thunderbolt device itself), and there are very, very few hard drives currently in existence with a Thunderbolt interface (such Thunderbolt-equipped external hard drives are substantially more expensive per GB than external hard drives with other types of interfaces).

• 9. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                          vonpeeler Level 1

so it seems I bought a macbook with a big screen.... I read on some mac forums that I would be fine if I was running final cut pro with this iMac since it would work better with my GPU..... I guess my final question is should I return the iMac and add a few hundred dollars to buy a mac book pro?.. or just add a few hundred dollars to get final cut pro on this iMac... I know it's an Adobe forum and I love Premiere since it's all I have ever used since 2004..... BUT..... I need to stop the bleeding and get on with my projects.

• 10. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                            Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

vonpeeler wrote:

so it seems I bought a macbook with a big screen.... I read on some mac forums that I would be fine if I was running final cut pro with this iMac since it would work better with my GPU..... I guess my final question is should I return the iMac and add a few hundred dollars to buy a mac book pro?.. or just add a few hundred dollars to get final cut pro on this iMac... I know it's an Adobe forum and I love Premiere since it's all I have ever used since 2004..... BUT..... I need to stop the bleeding and get on with my projects.

What did you think when you bought the underspecced iMac. Did you actually intended to use it for Pemiere CS5.5 or FCP. if you google CS5 vs FCP, you will see that the majority are moving from FCP to CS5 because of the MPE. As a user of both I will tell you that FCP will not be able to edit your 5D material natively, which means you will have to transcode them to mov files first before you can use them in FCP, and the process will be more than real time on the current specs of your imac. The choice is still yours anyway.

• 11. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

MBP is hampered by the same limitations. Get rid of the iMAC and get a PC.

• 12. Re: Video playback stutters on new system
                                RjL190365 Level 4

And this is because MBPs are not available at all with any Nvidia GPU: They offer only AMD GPUs and onboard Intel graphics on that entire line. Plus, the CPUs in most of the MBP models are of the slow, ultra-low-power-consumption type. Worse, the Thunderbolt port(s) on the newest MBPs are of no practical use right now (there are currently no cost-effective external hard drives with the Thunderbolt interface).

1 person found this helpful