3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2011 3:45 AM by John Hawkinson

multi-monitor viewing

redpointone

Suggestions or comments for viewing multiple pages horizontally across multiple monitors? Would like to setup 2-3, maybe four pages horizontally.

• 1. Re: multi-monitor viewing
          John Hawkinson Level 5

OS?

InDesign really is only happy working with one spread at a time. So you can see the two facing pages of a spread side-by-side in a window. And perhaps extend one window across two monitors.

Alternatively, you can put your pages in seperate INDD files and open a seperate window for each.

None of this is too appealing.

• 2. Re: multi-monitor viewing
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

John Hawkinson wrote:

[..] Alternatively, you can put your pages in seperate INDD files and open a seperate window for each.

You can open a new window for your document -- even more than one, if you really want to (I imagine there will be some slowness after the first dozen).

The nicest thing is each window represents a live view on your document. If you are viewing the same page in two separate windows, you will see all changes immediately in both windows.

• 3. Re: multi-monitor viewing
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Whoops! Right you are.

I seem to have confused my "you can't do that" and "it doesn't work very well" mental hashbuckets.

That is, I'm pretty sure the last time I tried this, probably under 7.0.3 on a Mac, I found that it gave all sorts of display anomalies and didn't update the other window at all the right times....but maybe that was when the same page was open in both windows...

Sorry for the misinformation!