4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 8:45 AM by MA MOHR

Codec question

MA MOHR

I have an AVI that will not import into Premiere CS5. It uses the following codec H.264 and the name is H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, 704x480. (as per GSpot) Besides converting it to a standard AVI that Premiere will recognize, is there any way to add something to premiere so it can import it. The files I'll be using will be pretty substantial in size and I don't want to have to spend the time converting them. If I have to I have to. The error I get is that this is an unrecognized format or the file is damaged. I can play the file back using windows media player. Let me know if I need to provide any further information. I posted this on the COW too but I haven'tgotten anything from that yet so I thought I'd post this here.

System

Intel i7 extreme

12 GB ram

Nvidia 4000

4TB Raid 5

Win 7

• 1. Re: Codec question
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro is designed around standardized camera media.  There are no cameras that record H.264 into AVI files.  So it's likely yours is non-standard in a way that PP doesn't like.

Where exactly did you get the clips?

• 2. Re: Codec question
            shooternz Level 6

I would ask the same as Jim Simon.

Where are the source files coming from?

• 3. Re: Codec question
              MA MOHR Level 1

The files are coming from a DVR that is used for both security and industrial applications (Nuvico AL-400). I can only get the files in the codec mentioned or their proprietery format which only plays with their mini player.  I may have to just deal with converting the files from the way it looks unless someone comes up with a miracle.We are using this to record multicamera feeds of surgeries. Each camera source (up to 4 sources) has to record the entire 4 to 6 hour surgey and then the feeds get edited down to a final trianing program. I'm going to see if the vendor has any other apps available for file conversion too but seeing it's the weekend I thought I'd start with the different forums.

• 4. Re: Codec question
                MA MOHR Level 1

Success!!!! After slowing down a bit and actually reading the manuals I found that a seperate conveter is included and you can do uncompressed avi. I also found a nice converter from Womble multimedia that can handle the native .rec4 files from the DVR and give you MPEG2 files.