11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2011 5:43 PM by Todd_Kopriva RSS

Audio scrubbing like Audition

Stauffer Studios

I would like to be able to scrub audio and have it stay on the

entire time i am scrubbing like you can in Audition.  When you position the CTI on a frame, i would like the audio t

o stay on.  Is there any way to achieve this in Premiere?

• 2. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition
          Ann Bens CommunityMVP

By default Premiere Pro plays the audio when you scrub any clip or sequence containing audio in the Source Monitor, Program Monitor, or a Timeline. You can change this setting, if you prefer silent scrubbing.

Select Edit > Preferences > Audio (Windows), or Premiere Pro > Preferences > Audio (Mac OS).

• 3. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition
            Stauffer Studios Community Member

I know about the scrubbing options in Premiere and how to turn then on and off .  This is not what I am talking about.  Well sort of.

What I am looking for is the ability to have the audio stay playing when stopped on a single frame so that as i scrub, i can hear exactly what is at a point in time without it stop playing.  In this way i can easily find a particular piece in the sound.

If you open Audition and scrub the audio, there is an option by using (i believe the Alt key) that when you scrub the timeline, the audio stays playing even when the CTI is not moving.  In this way you can find the blip, or whatever you are looking for, much easier.

Make sense?

• 4. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition
              Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

If you want to request a change in behavior, you can submit a feature request.

• 5. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition
                JSS1138 Community Member

Make sense?

No, not really.  If the CTI isn't moving, how does anything keep playing?  That would be very odd behavior.

• 6. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition
                  Jerry.K Community Member

It makes some sense to me, sort of, although I would describe the CTI actions in Au a little differently. Are you in Au3 or Au5.5, because the cursor action is a little different between the two versions from what I see. In Au3, the CTI stays where you set it even while the timeline is playing, so that when you stop playing the CTI hasn't moved. If you want to move the CTI to a different point you can do it while the timeline is playing, or when it's paused or stopped. In Au5.5, the CTI always moves, but there is a playback preference to return it to the original position on stop.

In Premiere Pro, at least in 5.5 I'm not sure about the other versions, there is a playback behavior that returns the CTI back about 2 seconds (hold Ctrl while clicking the play button) and then keeps playing. No way to hold the CTI at a chosen point, so far as I can tell.

In Pr, if you want to return to a given point after stopping playback, using markers is one way to do it. No quite as quick as in Au, but somewhat more flexible.

• 7. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition

I have put in a feature request for this.

Jim, the deal is if you run Audition 3 and you use the Ctrl- and drag the mouse, it will continue to play the current "frame"'s sound.  It just repeats the same thing over and over until you release the Ctrl key.  If you haven't tried editing like this, you should give it a try.  You can't hear the same things when scrubbing as you can when you have this feature.  It allows you to get super acurate.

Is Audition actually upgraded finally to 5.5 or are you talking about Sound Booth?

• 8. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition

answered my own question.  Hot dog, Audition is finally upgraded.

• 9. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition
                        JSS1138 Community Member
                        It just repeats the same thing over and over until you release the Ctrl key.

Ah.  That was the missing data.  Making more sense now.

You can set up Premiere Pro to run a loop.  I assume this would work on something as small as a single frame if need be.

• 10. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition

Well I can honestly say i am extremely dissapointed.  I just downloaded Audition CS5.5 and the feature is gone even from that package.  I was thinking that since there was streamlined support in CS5.5 for Audition again that it wouldn't matter but not so much.

Why would you take that feature out.  In fact, many of the nice scrubbing features are now gone.  That was my main reason to upgrade.

• 11. Re: Audio scrubbing like Audition
                            Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

If you take your concerns to the Audition forum, it'll probably be a lot more productive:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/audition

Also note that many features are moved around, changed, or have new names:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/895/cpsid_89588.html

Be sure to read that before concluding that something is gone.  And, even if something is not in Audition CS5.5, bringing it up on the Audition forum may help to bring it back. The application was entirely rewritten, and a lot of features not in CS5.5 aren't so much killed as not rewritten yet.