1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2011 5:33 PM by YomBuddy

InDesign won't "Save As"

YomBuddy Level 1

I am new to Mac, running Mac OS X version 10.6.7 on a brand new iMac, but have been using Pagemaker 7.0 for years. I upgraded to InDesign for Mac (from Windows Pagemaker 7.0) this week, and purchased InDesign CS5 Classroom in a Book to get me started. The second step of the first lesson is to save the example file with a new name. When I do so, I get the reply:

Cannot save "01_Start.indd" under a new name. the file "DBTmp4101602852866" is damaged (Error code: 0).

Any attempt to "save as" gets the same reply.

Looking back over the last 6 pages of this forum, I see nothing resembling this. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like a corrupted file. You might have gotten a bad CD. Can you try copying the file to a different computer?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'd also suggest a better book. Sandee Cohen's Visual Quick Start Guide is a far better way to learn (IMO) http://t.co/e0RTA7O

You might also want to check out Lynda.com. $25/month for all you can watch video training. This link will get a seven day trial: http://bit.ly/dMKVSt

Good luck.

Bob

• 3. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Files named like that are stored in ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 7.0/en_US (adjust for version and locale).

Take a look there and see if anything obvious is wrong...disk full, bad permissions, no files being created, etc., I suppose you could

move aside the whole Adobe InDesign directory and let InDesign recreate it and see what happens...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                YomBuddy Level 1

John - To prepare for Lesson 01, I followed the instructions to move the en_US file to another folder and let InDesign make a new such file. However, InDesign was giving me the message I quoted before I did that. (I was trying to save a PageMaker file as .indd, and assumed the problem was with reformatting the PageMaker file.)

I have found the current en_US file, but do not know how to tell if anything is wrong. Does "the whole Adobe InDesign directory" = en_US?

• 5. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Does "the whole Adobe InDesign directory" = en_US?

No, I meant the whole of ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign.

Though perhaps moving the en_US directory would accomplish about the same.

• 6. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                    YomBuddy Level 1

Steve - I only have one iMac. How do I tell if the CD is bad?

• 7. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                      YomBuddy Level 1

John - I checked in the en_US directory, and there was no file "DBTmp4101602852866".

en_US seems to be the only directory in /Adobe InDesign/ with files in it.

• 8. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                        YomBuddy Level 1

John - I just noticed that you wrote /version 7.0/ where my computer has /version 7.5/. Any significance?

• 9. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Yes, move it aside anyhow. It won't hurt anything and it may help.

Version 7.0 is CS5 and Version 7.5 is CS5.5. You have the version you

have, it's not really relevant to the problem, at least as far as we know.

• 10. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                            YomBuddy Level 1

Bob - "You go to the learning curve with the text you just bought, not the one you should have bought."  But if I will keep your suggestions in mind.

• 11. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                              YomBuddy Level 1

John - Sorry to be so dense, but what does "moving it aside" mean? If I move it to another directory or to the trash, it will take en_US and its contents with it. Should I do that, or move en_us back to /Adobe InDesign/, emptying /Version 7.5/ and then deleting it?

• 12. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                YomBuddy Level 1

John - I just checked, and I have version CS5.5.

• 13. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Yes, the whole point is to take en_US and its contents it and make it

unavailable to InDesign.

You could trash it, but on general principles I'd never recommend

anyone throw anything in the Trash. If they accidently put the wrong thing

in the trash, its unrecoverable. So why risk it?

Of course, yes, you're running CS5.5. No surprise.

• 14. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                    YomBuddy Level 1

John - I moved it to my Documents directory, and tried to "save as" again. Same error message but with a new file name as the culprit: DBTmp1251-2130304572.

I don't know where you are, but I am in the Central Time Zone and ready to call it a day and half a night. Thanks for your efforts. I will try again tomorrow.

• 15. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

We don't sleep here. I assume, by the way, that you quit InDesign

before moving the folder and restarted it only after you moved the

folder. Hrmm. Well, it was kind of a long-shot anyhow. Perhaps

someone else will come up with a good theory. This is certainly strange.

• 16. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                        YomBuddy Level 1

John - Thanks for the effort!

The Classroom in a Book instructs one to move the en_US folder to Documents in order to force InDesign to make a new en_US.

And yes, exiting InDesign first is the procedure.

• 17. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                          YomBuddy Level 1

Further experimentation has revealed that it is not only "Save As" that is dysfunctional, but even "Save" using the existing name of the file. The return message is curious: "Cannot save "01_Start.indd" under a new name." -- even though I have not entered a new name!

From my conversation with John I gather that this is not (as I had hoped) a routine newbie issue. It has been suggested that I received a defective installation CD. Possible?

• 18. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That file should, I think, be in the recovery folder, and is really of no consequence in this particular case as there is nothing to recover. It is a bit disturbing, though, that you got the same message when trying to convert the PM file earlier. I haven't heard any reports that CS5.5 will not save from PM.

Are you able to create a brand new file, Save AS, close, reopen it, and Save AS again?

If not, there's some serioous problem in the install. Are you working from the CD with the lesson files, or have you copied them to your hard drive? You may have better luck from the hard drive.

Please also read Replace Your Preferences

• 19. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

YomBuddy wrote:

It has been suggested that I received a defective installation CD. Possible?

Do you mean a bad CD for the CIB? Quite possible -- it seems to have happened frequently in the past, but but usually it's just files that don't behave as they should and there's a web posting for corrections. If you mean a bad disk for ID, that's also possible, but a bit less likely. If you have a serial number you can download the installer from Adobe.com (the trial is the same installer, so you can use that with your serial number).

I think it's more likely that you have corrupt prefs, and you're only removing the SavedData half. The link in my previous post will tell you how to do a full replacement.

• 20. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                YomBuddy Level 1

As I have used a Mac for about 13 days now after using Windows since the mid 80s, this is a bit challenging. I have read your directions and am working on it...

• 21. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

Unless you made extensive customizations, there's probably nothing to be gained this early in your work to merit the manual method. but once you've customized ID the way you like it, it's really a good idea to make backup copies of the prefs files mentioned and keep them for replacement when things go bad.

I wish I could tell you why prefs get corrupt, but I can't. Some people have it happen a lot, others almost never (I'm in that category). I think it has a lot to do with what else is running and possible conflicts, as well as system crashes, and possibly even unstable hardware or voltage fluctuations, but that's total speculation.

In any case, after a prefs repalcement, please try the new file text BEFORE you do any other work. That should tell us if you have a more serious issue.

• 22. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                    YomBuddy Level 1

Peter - The first step stumped me: how do I reset my system to show hidden files?

• 23. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

I'm a Windows guy, and not sure for the Mac.

John, are you awake?

• 25. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                        YomBuddy Level 1

Peter - I did your first, simpler method. The dialog box appeared and I clicked Yes. Called up the same file and tried both Save As and Save, and both gave the same results as before. Should I go on and try the second method?

• 26. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

Results for either method would be the same, but I want you to replace the prefs again, then work with a new file you create before opening anything that's already saved.If you keep opeing a file that's not cooperative there's no way to know if it's the file or ID in general, and it's possible the file is corrupting the prefs when it opens.

Thanks, Bob.   Are those files hidden on Mac? If not, I should edit the the other thread.

• 27. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                            YomBuddy Level 1

Bob - Thanks.

• 28. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

Have to walk the dog while it isn't raining temporarily. Back in about 45 miinutes

• 29. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                                YomBuddy Level 1

Peter - A new file after deleting preferences gives the same results.

Curioser and curioser...

• 30. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

OK, I think it's time to try an uninstall/reinstall. Before you reinstall, run the cleaner tool: Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool

• 31. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                                    YomBuddy Level 1

Peter - uninstall, run the cleaner tool, then reinstall?

Please send some of that rain to us in northwest Louisiana!

• 32. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

Yes.

I thought you folks had enough bad weather to last a year.

• 33. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                                        peter minneapolis Level 4

P Spier wrote:

OK, I think it's time to try an uninstall/reinstall. Before you reinstall, run the cleaner tool: Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool

Before trying the massive uninstall/clean/reinstall operation, you may want to try a couple of common Mac suggestions for fixing things like this, that I haven't seen on this thread.

* Insert the CIB disk in the drive.

In Finder, press Cmd+Shift+U to open the Utilities folder. Run Disk Utility against the CIB disk. First run Verify Disk, to determine if there are detectible flaws on the disk. If there are, you need to request a new disk.

If you've copied the CIB folder to your hard drive, run Disk Utility on your hard drive - the Repair Permissions option is important; if permissions aren't correct, you'll not be able to perform some actions for various applications. It's common for permissions to get out of whack; it's not usually considered a sign of massive trouble, just something to check periodically. It's also common for repairing permissions not to fix some specific file/folder permissions. (see ** below) You can also run Verify Disk to discover problems, but you can't run Repair Disk from the copy of Disk Utility on the same drive you're checking, so if you need to repair your drive, you'll need to start the Mac from your Installation disk and choose Disk Utility from the File menu (maybe a different menu - I'm working from memory.)

*** In addition, if the CIB folder is on your drive, Search Google for terms like "how to change mac folder permission" without quotes, to find out how to change the permissions of the folder and its files to read/write for all users.

*** If there's any chance that the CIB folder that's copied to your hard drive was copied from a Windows computer, the problem may originate with the Windows tendency for files copied from CDs or DVDs is to retain their read-only property. Again, here you can use the info in the Google search results to fix the permissions.

If it's possible that you are using a Mac user account that's not an administrator-level account, try either changing the permissions on this user account, or restarting the Mac from an administrator-level account. For details, search Google for "setting mac administrator account" without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

_______________________

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 34. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

@ Peter G,

That would be great if the problem was resticted to the CIB files, but the OP can't even create and save a new file.

• 35. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Sorry, busy out in the world.

The Classroom in a Book instructs one to move the en_US folder to Documents in order to force InDesign to make a new en_US.

I am very confused why it would give you that instruction.

I'm not familiar with this book, but moving around recovery folders

is not normal. I only suggested it because of your bizarre error.

Can someone familiar with the CIB book explain why it's telling you

to do this strange thing?

• 36. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

I'd have to check the curent version to see if it's consistent, but in previous releeases the CIB has instructed users to reset prefs to defaults so that the instructions and screen appearances (as well as some behaviors) would be consistent. Moving the cache folders would be one way to do part of that and allow you to restore the customizations you might have made, but for ID there are two different locations that hold the prefs, so I don't know why the instructions would be to move only one folder.

Since you're back, is there any sort of permissions fix you can think of that might be effective, if indeed this is a permissions issue? Not being able to save is fairly basic, and it sounds as if ID is having trouble writing to the recovery folder.

• 37. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Not offhand. And it's also strange that ID is able to write to the recovery

folder sufficiently to create the file, just (apparently) not able to

further write to it, or move the files, or something.

And, of course, it should create the recovery folder with the correct

permissions when it recreates it anyhow.

So I'm stuck now.

• 38. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"
                                                                                  YomBuddy Level 1

Peter - Here's what the Book says: "To ensure that the preferences and default settings of your Adobe InDesign CS5 program match those used in this book, you should move the current InDesign Defaults file to a different location before you begin working on the lessons."

Anyway, I reinstalled ID and created a new document, saved it to the disk with the default name, then used Save As to a new name and all worked well. I then called up the CIB file and saved it with the existing name and saved it as another name - all good. Then I retrieved a .PMD file of a pamphlet involving many text boxes and graphics, and tried to save it as a .indd file, whereon the same old warning box popped up. So I went back and tried to save the blank document and the Lesson to new names, and it still worked.

The .PMD file was created with the latest version of PageMaker, and worked well. The reason I bought InDesign was so I could continue to use and revise .PMD files I have created over the last several years. The obvious inference that the PageMaker files are the problem scares me.

• 39. Re: InDesign won't "Save As"

I've not tried saving any PM files lately, and I don't recall any reports of problems reated to saving them from CS5.5, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

As far as saving the InDesign Defaults file, that is not in the same location as the recovery files, and as I said above, they want you to do that so you're working with the factory default settings so you don't have issues with differnt units and such. It's not a crisis (at least not much of one) if you've made some changes and DON'T revert, as long as you know there might be some differences in what happens from time to time.

But back to the .pmd problem, can you share a file with us? If it isn't sensitive, you can post a link here, else send a link in a Private Message to one or more of us. Click a name to go to a profile and you'll see send a private message in the actions list. If you don't have a server of your own, you can send the file to yourself with YouSendIt.com, then post that link.

1 2 Previous Next