8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 9:57 AM by Lon Winters

Flash "test movie" question

Thomas Golaszewski

Hi;

I'm building a web site and when I use the test movie for my web site, it opens where I only see a quarter of the page and I have to expand that to see my work.  Do I have a problem when I take it over to Dreamweaver or is this just something that's normal.  I looked on Lynda.com and when they test their movie, it opens fully.    I'm working on a mac and testing with firefox.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Flash "test movie" question
          Lon Winters Level 4

Are you doing this in Flash or Dreamweaver? Sounds like it's from within Flash and you have HTML checked in the publish settings. You can still test the movie with or without the browser. Are you testing in a browser? It sound like the browser window is just opening too small, is that correct?

• 2. Re: Flash "test movie" question
            Thomas Golaszewski Level 1

Hi;

You're right, I said this wrong.  I'm using flash to build it.  As I understand it, I have to use Dreamweaver to upload to the server. In Flash, I go to Control, test movie.  I guess it doesn't launch Firefox but, does a test to look for errors in the code.  Now, when I do the control, test movie, my test comes out to where I only see a quarter of the site.  Do I have to adjust something in Flash Prefs?

• 3. Re: Flash "test movie" question
              Lon Winters Level 4

I'm still not clear on whether the test opens the flash player or the browser with the flash embedded. If it's the player, does it open to the correct dimensions of the movie with part of the content missing, or is it perhaps just zoomed in where you have to expand the viewer? If it's the latter then you just need to adjust the zoom setting on the player. If there is content actually missing, check your fla, there's something wrong there - it may be stopping too soon.

• 4. Re: Flash "test movie" question

I don't think it opens a browser.  When your working in flash, you can do a "test movie" which looks at the code and if everything is right, you see exactly what your working on.  Say, you want to test the buttons after you make them.  Finish making your buttons then scroll to  "test movie".  If you have no problems, you can click on the buttons to goto other pages of your web site (in progress).  My problem is that when I go to test movie, the test movie screen only shows the upper left corner of the page I want to look at,  I have to drag that page to make it larger to show the rest of my work.

I hope that's a better explanation.

• 5. Re: Flash "test movie" question
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the dimensions specified in the Document Properties window (Modify -> Document)?  Can you include a screenshot showing the problem?

• 6. Re: Flash "test movie" question

That's what I was looking for "Modify -> Document". It had the wrong dimensions.   I've never done a screenshot so, I'm glad that fixed it.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Flash "test movie" question
                      Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome

• 8. Re: Flash "test movie" question
                        Lon Winters Level 4

Glad you sorted it out. If your document dimensions were that small, it also means you were putting content outside of the stage. The document stage in design mode is whatever background color you specified in document properties and it defaults to white. Outside of that it is grey and still sometimes hard to see where the stage ends. Also, an image that is larger than the stage will cover up the stage background.