3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 5:41 AM by Tortie Cat

InD CS3 Mac query

Tortie Cat

New member here - hi!

I've studied the help pages in InD, but can't see whether I can do this or not. I need to create references to a single page number or range of pages, in the form:

yadda yadda...see further information on pages n to n. ?

I have a 38 page UK government PDF form to fill in, and have placed the form on the bottom layer of an InD document, with the text on the layer above. There's a lot of extra information I need to add which will run to about 15 extra pages and I really need to keep the document as a single electronic file. I know how to do this in Word but the thought of Word's text boxes don't appeal to me, to say the least, not to mention having to take screen shots of all 38 pages, create 38 separate sections, and place each screenshot in the header. Nightmare.

Can I do this in InD CS3?

TIA for your help.

• 1. Re: InD CS3 Mac query
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This really needs cross references, I think, which were introduced in CS4.

• 2. Re: InD CS3 Mac query
            peter minneapolis Level 4

Tortie Cat wrote:

New member here - hi!

I've studied the help pages in InD, but can't see whether I can do this or not. I need to create references to a single page number or range of pages, in the form:

yadda yadda...see further information on pages n to n. ?

I have a 38 page UK government PDF form to fill in, and have placed the form on the bottom layer of an InD document, with the text on the layer above. There's a lot of extra information I need to add which will run to about 15 extra pages and I really need to keep the document as a single electronic file. I know how to do this in Word but the thought of Word's text boxes don't appeal to me, to say the least, not to mention having to take screen shots of all 38 pages, create 38 separate sections, and place each screenshot in the header. Nightmare.

Can I do this in InD CS3?

TIA for your help.

[EDIT] Somehow, I lost the beginning line that said, "Not in CS3."[/EDIT]

Since InDesign CS4, InDesign's had the cross-reference feature that can capture a paragraph and some of its properties, such as what page it's on, in the current document or other documents. As text flows from page to page, their numbers are adjusted.

InDesign's cross-references can't capture page ranges automatically, but you can insert two cross-references, one that points to the beginning item in the range and captures its page number, and another that points to the last item in the range and captures its page number. It's a pretty-good workaround.

At this point I'd usually suggest that you search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-reference page range" without quotes, for more resources. However, I usually test my Google search suggestions, and in this case I found much confusion. InDesign's index is capable of cross-references (like see also,) and page ranges (like 3-5), but although this isn't what you want, it's what's discussed in most of the returned links; you might say this ambiguity is disgusting and confusing. OK, maybe you wouldn't say it, but I might say it.)

This one Cross-reference to a range of pages? | General InDesign Topics ..., from InDesignSecrets.com seems to have promise, but it's short, and you quickly see that it points to the site of a third-party commercial plug-in, Relationship of InDesign Index and Cross-References. (Disclaimer: I reviewed the DTP Tools Cross-References InDesign plug-in for InDesign Magazine a few years ago, and am a volunteer beta-tester for some of their products, but I have no conflict-of-interest kind of connection to the company.)

I've never tried the suggestion in the DTP Tools post, so I thought I'd give it a go. It does work, though until you're familiar with using the cross-reference format building blocks, the general description in the post may be confusing. (The two-cross-reference method, as in InDesign, also works, of course.)

Another confusion in understanding the solution in the post comes from the original question about creating cross-reference ranges from existing index markers in InDesign documents.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InD CS3 Mac query
              Tortie Cat Level 1

Thank you so much for your help, Peter, I really appreciate it.

I apologise for not coming back sooner; unfortunately someone drove into my car while I was waiting at traffic lights, which laid me low for a few days.

I've discovered jump lines - automatically entering the correct page numbers of threaded frames - now, and decided to use those. It's a complex form – a claim for disability benefits – so it's important I make it as easy as possible for the decision maker to navigate and understand it.

Thank you again for your help.

Tortie