11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 7:57 PM by paulvmacpherson

MP4 preset

paulvmacpherson

Hi,

I have a Sanyo Xacti HD camera that produces MP4 files. When trying to select an available preset in Premiere Elements 9 I'm unsure which preset to use ((I've experimented with virtually all available to me) and each time I attempt to drop a clip into my project I'm told that the file doesn't match the pre-set.

The presets I have available to me are in these NTSC folders: AVCHD, DSLR, DV, FLIP, HARD DISK/FLASH MEMORY/CAMCORDER/HDV.

Can anyone suggest a course of action?

Thanks, Paul

• 1. Re: MP4 preset
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, that video isn't designed to be edited by Premiere Elements. In fact, pocket camcorder video is made pretty much to shoot and then load the video to YouTube.

None of the project settings in Premiere Elements will interface well with that camcorder's video. Sorry.

You may be able to make it work with one of the DSLR presets -- but there are no guarantees, since this is a hybrid solution.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MP4 preset
            paulvmacpherson Level 1

Hi Steve,

That's disappointing to hear but I greatly appreciate the response. I will roll the dice with the DSLR settings and see how I get on.

Best wishes, Paul

• 3. Re: MP4 preset
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does Sanyo have any software for that camera?

• 4. Re: MP4 preset
                paulvmacpherson Level 1

Hi John,

I don't see anything on a quick Google search. If they did have software for the Xacti, how are you thinking that would help? The clips would still all be recorded in mp4 format, right?

• 5. Re: MP4 preset
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Try using the HDV 720p 30 project preset.

I can use that with my Kodak Zi8 .mov files (AVC/h.264 and AAC). No red lines.

I can also use that preset with my Kodak PlayTouch, .mp4 files (AVC/h.264 and AAC). No red lines either.

• 6. Re: MP4 preset
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

Which exact version of the Sanyo XACTI is this?

• 7. Re: MP4 preset
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

paulvmacpherson wrote:

Hi John,

I don't see anything on a quick Google search. If they did have software for the Xacti, how are you thinking that would help? The clips would still all be recorded in mp4 format, right?

I would go to the Sanyo site, for your camera, and see what is there

IF Sanyo has any kind of editing or conversion software, it MIGHT help... because it is designed by Sanyo to work with their camera

• 8. Re: MP4 preset
                        VDOSurfer Level 3

Does the XACTI have modes of capture in it? I mean, I see that there is one version of the camera that can capture a Full HD AVCHD, that is 1920x1080 AVCHD format mp4. The same one can capture a lesser resolution. So if your camera has a "non-Full-HD" capture resolution, there is a good chance it will not be understood by Premiere Elements. Can you let me know the resolution of the files that are generated out of the camera? Resolution is the "width x height", like a "1920x1080" or a "1280x720"

You also mentioned that "...and each time I attempt to drop a clip into my project I'm told that the file doesn't match the pre-set". What option do you select when you get such a message? I think you are selecting a "No" here, Otherwise Premiere Elements  would have taken you to the right preset all by itself. In fact the message "means" that

1. This is not the right preset

AND

2. Premiere Elements 9 "knows" what is...

I think it this is called a mismatched preset dialog. Allow it to do its stuff, and you should see no red line in the resulting project over your clip!

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: MP4 preset
                          paulvmacpherson Level 1

Hey Surf, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been taking clips at just 1280x720 because it's been quicker to work with smaller files. So I tried full hd 1920x1080 (60 fps) and I did not get the same mismach warning when calling them into Premiere.

So I think I am in good shape.

Thanks to everyone who passed along advice. What a great community.

Cheers, Paul

• 10. Re: MP4 preset
                            paulvmacpherson Level 1

Hi John,

I have been taking clips at just 1280x720 because it's been quicker to work with smaller files. So I tried full hd 1920x1080 (60 fps) and I did not get the same mismach warning when calling them into Premiere. So I think I am in good shape.

Thanks for responding.

Cheers, Paul

• 11. Re: MP4 preset
                              paulvmacpherson Level 1

Hi Robert,

I have been taking clips at just 1280x720 because it's been quicker to work with smaller files. So I tried full hd 1920x1080 (60 fps) and I did not get the same mismach warning when calling them into Premiere. So I think I am in good shape.

Thanks for responding.

Cheers, Paul