4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 9:47 AM by the_wine_snob

BD won't play on disc player

ABWay0 Level 1

I cannot play the BD created by Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on my Blu-Ray Disc Player BD270 (firmware BD.8.08.028.B). The BD is created with my Blu-Ray Disc Drive BH08LS20 (firmware BH08LS20_200(ew)) under Windows 7. I can play my BD on my BD disc drive BH08LS20, but my BD disc player BD270 just churns until it reports error.

Windows 7

Microsoft IE

• 1. Re: BD won't play on disc player
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

From your description of the situation, there is no problem with your software. You have created a valid disc.

There could be a number of issues:

1) You used a poor quality blank disc. You don't say which brand of media you used, but Memorex discs are notoriously unstable and often don't record well.

2) You recorded at too fast a speed. Try burning your disc at no faster than 16x (or less, if your discs aren't rated faster).

3) Your disc player can't play home-burned discs. This is more rare these days than it used to be, but disc players never work as well with home-burned discs as computer disc drives do. Have you tried the disc on a friend's disc player? It may simply be your player. Or it could be one of the issues above.

This is all assuming, of course, that you didn't stick a label on your disc or smudge it with a marker or something.

But it's definitely either the disc (most likely) or the disc player that's the problem. Since you can play the disc on your computer, everything else is working right.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BD won't play on disc player
            ABWay0 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks as usual for you good ideas.  Unfortunately, the good idea I was taught 50 years ago and never learned is: After checking all possible answers, check again.  In spite of what I thought I had done, my disc player is faulty (an identical DP plays my BDs fine), so I bought a new one (repair ca. 60% of new price) and I am back on track.

However, to follow-up on your remark about reliable disc brands, do you have any knowledge about archival BD discs such as Delkin Archival Gold (ca. $11 each)?  I am digitizing my old slides and movies and am wondering whether an archival disc is really more durable than a non-archival disc.  Furthermore, for non-archival family copies, what brands of BD-Rs would you suggest.  In Dallas, Memorex is most common (I note your warning) but I can get Panasonic.

Thanks again,

Tony Way

• 3. Re: BD won't play on disc player
              Ted Smith Level 3

Could your old player still play commercially made disks?

It seems that PE9 can't control the speed of burning.

I had same problems to yours using an 8x burner on 4x rated disks.

The disk would not play on my new Pioneer high quality player but would on a friend's old cheapo Panasonic.

I copied the edited m2ts file off the 'faulty" BD disk and burnt it again using a different burning program than allows a 4x speed and it works fine on both.

I suspect the indentations made in the disk layer are not as deep if you burn too fast. Some players might have a stronger or broader LED  beam than others

4x disks are considerably cheaper.

• 4. Re: BD won't play on disc player
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

As you have observed, burn speed CAN have an impact on playability of the resultant BD, or DVD-Video. Probably a greater factor is the brand of blank media used, but burn speed is often a factor too.

Unfortunately, PrE goes with the fastest combo, based on the speed of the media, and on the speed of the burner, and chooses the fastest possible. I find that a short-coming, and use other burning utilities, so that I can adjust the burn speed down a bit. Within parameters, slower is better. I nearly always go with ~ 4x for BD and DVD-5's, and ~ 2.4x for DVD-9's. To date, I have never had one returned disc, and all test fine on about six different players here, plus two multi-drives on the workstation w/ DVD/BD software players. The difference in time to do a burn at 8x, or above, is more than offset vs say a 4x burn, if I have to do just one more burn. I also only use premium blank media, as saving a few ¢'s is false economy, if I get returns for playability issues.

Unfortunately, no BD, or DVD player is certified to play ANY burned disc - only commercially replicated discs, so one is never 100% certain that a client, or family member might not have a player that plays NO burned disc. Testing can verify that a wide range of players WILL play the disc, but there could well be some players out there, that just refuse to do so, or do so properly.

From reading of playability issues, it also seems that some of the higher-end players are more finicky regarding burned discs too, and that is one reason that I test on several, from a US$ 49 "bargain basement" older unit, up to an esoteric Marantz - though that obviously does not cover EVERY player - just a broad range of players.

As all multi-drives ARE certified to play a broad range of discs, including burned discs, so long as the viewer has adequate DVD/BD software players available, the discs should play on a computer.

I support your workflow completely, and have filed feature requests for PrE to allow for burn speed adjustment.

Thanks for the comment,

Hunt