14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 12:51 PM by banzemanga

Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?

banzemanga

I am somewhat new to video editing. The videos i edit most of them come on AVC/PCM/M2TS format. I am able to work with those videos using MainConcept Codec Suite's plug-in.

The problem is when i want to render the final edit of my videos. Whenever i try to render the final results, PremierePro have these sets of encoding settings which are commonly used on different devices. I can modify those settings to my own preference. But some of these settings are limited or unavailable and sometimes unknown to me.

Limited settings occur like when i want to make maximum bitrate to be as high as 48Mbps which PremierePro limits it to 35Mbps.

Although MainConcept's plug-in allows me to output video with bitrate higher than that value, there are settings about it i have no idea what it is about.

And like i said, i am somewhat new to video editing so there are a lots of things new to me.

So, i was wondering; doesnt PremierePro have the ability to check on the encoding settings of the original source videos and render according to those instead?

If PremierePro doesn't, isn't any plug-in out there that does that? MainConcept's plug-in has a "Analyze" button that tries to to that. But it seems that it can't recognize the settings of my source files.

Here is a sample of the settings of the video file i am trying to edit:

General

ID                               : 0 (0x0)

Complete name                    : D:\pro1\Chapter13.M2TS

Format                           : BDAV

Format/Info                      : Blu-ray Video

File size                        : 6.71 GiB

Duration                         : 23mn 41s

Overall bit rate                 : 40.6 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate         : 48.0 Mbps

Video

ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames

Format settings, GOP             : M=2, N=26

Codec ID                         : 27

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 37.4 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                 : 39.0 Mbps

Width                            : 1 920 pixels

Height                           : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : MBAFF

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.602

Stream size                      : 6.19 GiB (92%)

Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177

Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio

ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)

Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)

Format                           : PCM

Format settings, Endianness      : Big

Format settings, Sign            : Signed

Muxing mode                      : Blu-ray

Codec ID                         : 128

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Channel positions                : Front: L R

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                        : 16 bits

Stream size                      : 260 MiB (4%)

• 1. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
          shooternz Level 6

Here is a good workflow to follow.

Edit your source files native and at best quality in a Matching Sequence.

Then you decide what the end delivery is and you export to suit that requirement via AME.

You do not encode or export back to a "camera" format".

What is your end delivery requirement?  eg Broadast TV,  Youtube, computer screen, DVD, Bluray DVD, mobile device...........etc...

• 2. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
            banzemanga Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Well, at the mean time there is no specific delivery system. The idea right now is to retain the original quality for further edits or delivery in the future. Therefore retaining the original settings is the idea behind it.

What is AME? An video editing software? A converter? I am somewhat new so i have no idea.

• 3. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

AME is the Adobe Media Encoder.  It can be started separately, or is used for exporting from Premiere Pro via File>Export>Media...

For your current purposes, you will not want the same settings as the original, which is heavily compressed.  You will want a lossless export.  This will retain all the original quality, without adding any further compression artifacts.

Microsoft AVI with the codec set to None is a good option here.  You can also install the Lagarith or UT codecs and create a lossless AVI using those.

These files will be much larger than the originals, but that is the price you pay for retaining quality.

• 4. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                banzemanga Level 1

@Jim Simon

Thanks for your reply. In order words, to anwer my own question, PremierPro is unable to render the video with the original settings. Am i right?

Lossless compression is not a bad idea; so i guess i will give it a try.

• 5. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                  shooternz Level 6
                  The idea right now is to retain the original quality for further edits or delivery in the future. Therefore retaining the original settings is the idea behind it.

Your source files retain  their original quality.

Premiere is "non destructive" and does not change the original source files at all ....no matter what you do to them in the edit.

Your project only "references" the source files and does not alter them.  This is an important concept to understand..

• 6. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                    banzemanga Level 1

I understand that. But like i said right from the first post, the problem is when i want to render the results of the edits. And when rendering the results of the edits, i can't match the original encoding. Once you transcode with different encoding settings, your video quality changes.

• 7. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                      Keith_Clark Level 2

banzemanga wrote:

I understand that. But like i said right from the first post, the problem is when i want to render the results of the edits. And when rendering the results of the edits, i can't match the original encoding. Once you transcode with different encoding settings, your video quality changes.

shooternz wrote:

You do not encode or export back to a "camera" format".

What is your end delivery requirement?  eg Broadast TV,  Youtube, computer screen, DVD, Bluray DVD, mobile device...........etc...

i second the above post...

why would you want to encode your file back to the original camera format? just encode your "renders" to either avi losless to save for future edits or to archive, or encode to your delivery format and deliver it. there should be no need to encode, like say, an avchd file... back to an avchd... (or etc)

• 8. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                        banzemanga Level 1

demon_hunter83

why would you want to encode your file back to the original camera format? just encode your "renders" to either avi losless to save for future edits or to archive, or encode to your delivery format and deliver it. there should be no need to encode, like say, an avchd file... back to an avchd... (or etc)

Did you even read my previous posts? I don't have any delivery method at the moment. And i did agree with Jim Simon about the possibility of making a lossless rendering.

Also, i have forgotten to say it but the video is not from a camera footage. It is actually a Blu-Ray back up. What i find surprising is that that specific Blu-Ray video encoded settings is high and PremierePro did not have such settings.

For people who need instant delivery of their videos for broadcast, webcast, podcast, etc. Loseless rendering is indeed a solution for them. However, some poeple just want to edit and save their videos into the exact same settings as the originals to preserver both data and disk space.

A lot of people just want to edit their videos and not transcode their videos to a completely different settings. Some people know what is best for them or what is what they want. There is nothing wrong with that. If there is no solution in PremierePro, it simply doesn't. Stop making the discussion into a flame of war.

Admin, please close this thread.

• 9. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                          shooternz Level 6
                          A lot of people just want to edit their videos and not transcode their videos to a completely different settings. Some people know what is best for them or what is what they want. There is nothing wrong with that. If there is no solution in PremierePro,

Sorry mate but no NLE or edit system does what you are naievely asking for.

There is no quality issue with exporting to a high quality high bitrate format.  That is the way it is done in high end  broadcast work and cinema work.  The editing and post production workflow needs to be designed around minimising generational issues such as recompressing etc.

The best way to maintain quality is always come back to the source file.  Premiere Pro creates a project that references those source files.

You keep the source files and you save the project and you have exactly what you are after...for ever.

• 10. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                            banzemanga Level 1

And what if the final file is supposed to be at the same encoded settings as the source file? See? Different people can have different opinions.

Let's just end this discussion. It is getting nowhere. It is clearly that the need and method of our workflow is completely differnt. There is no need to impose your methodology when it doesn't apply to others.

• 11. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                              shooternz Level 6
                              And what if the final file is supposed to be at the same encoded settings as the source file? See? Different people can have different opinions.

You have been told it just cant be done the way that you are trying to do it.

Let's just end this discussion. It is getting nowhere. It is clearly that the need and method of our workflow is completely differntLet's just end this discussion. It is getting nowhere. It is clearly that the need and method of our workflow is completely differnt

Correct...it is going nowhere.  You dont actually have a viable workflow and you dont even have a method or reason for what you are asking.

I am somewhat new to video editing.

You dont actually know enough to have an opinion on the matter!

• 12. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                                banzemanga Level 1

You have been told it just cant be done the way that you are trying to do it.

Yes, it it cannot only be done on PremierePro.

Correct...it is going nowhere.  You dont actually have a viable workflow and you dont even have a method or reason for what you are asking.

Well, i just happened to download the trial version of AVS Video ReMaker and Corel VideoStudio X4 and they seem to be able to do what i want. They both are able to do editing and rendering an output with the same exact econding settings as my source. Although they might not match PremierePro in other features, they suit my needs.

You dont actually know enough to have an opinion on the matter!

I might be new to video editing and I might not know the workflow of a broadcasting company or the facy terms for video encoding. However, i know what i need and what i want. What works for me and what doesn't. Unlike a narrow minded person like you thinks that the only solution is your solution.

• 13. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  is not from a camera footage. It is actually a Blu-Ray

What you're doing is actually not legal.

• 14. Re: Can PremierePro render videos using the settings of the sources?
                                    banzemanga Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

What you're doing is actually not legal.

What is illegal about editing a Blu-ray back up i bough myself?

Edit: Just went over my country laws it looks like that editing a copy that even i own is illegal here. It doesn't make sense but i guess i have to dump all those back up i have. Thanks for the warning.