4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 6:07 AM by Steve Grisetti

Custom Preset for Nikon D7000

MaineHomes Level 1

I recently upgraded to a D7000 and PE9 (was using PSE4).  This DSLR creates .mov video files - and I am creating a finished QuickTime video.  Used for viewing on computer and upload to YouTube, Vimeo and other sites.  The custom preset I have created is below.  I am looking for any comments on how I can (or if I should), optimize this setting in any way?

Also, does it make sense to create a different output file - perhaps an FLV?

H.264

Quality 100%

1280 x 720

Frame Rate 29.97 (the camera is recording at 30fps, should I change my preset to this?)

Limit data to 8,000 kbts

Aspect Ratio = Square Pixels (1.0)

Field Type = Progressive

Render at Maximimum Depth (24 bit)

Key Frame every 15 frames

I did find that if I renedered at less that 8,000 kbts I was getting distortion.  This 8,000 was a bit of a "guess" range, keeping a 5 minute video under 400 MB.  If I had not restriction on size, the quality was extremely nice, but file size for same video was over 2 gig.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Custom Preset for Nikon D7000
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're going to post to YouTube, these output settings will get you the best results:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

But, of course, getting the best results from your output is highly dependent on how well your source video matches your project settings.

If your project settings are a perfect match for your camera's video, you will not see a red line above the clips on your timeline until you add an effect or transition to them. Was that the case for you?

• 2. Re: Custom Preset for Nikon D7000
            MaineHomes Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  The setting from JC are pretty much the same as mine, except for the Field Order.  I'm not really sure I understand what Field Order is, but I will try using none rather than progressive.

When in the time there is a red line across the top, but I have already added transitions and some titles.  I did a quick test using a few clips from the same movie and created a new one, with effects, and there was no red line appearing the the timeline.  I never heard about this before - and not sure what to do if it occurrs.

• 3. Re: Custom Preset for Nikon D7000
              MaineHomes Level 1

I just went back to check the settings again, and did not see "Field Order".  I had remembered that from PSE4.  It is not there in 9.  It is now Field Type, with options being upper, lower or progressive.

Why use 29.97 when you are recording at 30?

thx

• 4. Re: Custom Preset for Nikon D7000
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Progressive means non-interlaced video, Maine, so it's the option you should choose.

I think you can probably use 30 fps as your frame rate in your case.