3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 10:16 AM by Grant H

Layout:  Table on Isolated Page, Text Flow Around

Obenreizer Level 1

I have layout query pertaining to text flow and tables. 

STARTING POINT:  In a single (yet long) text frame, I have a TEXT1 -> TABLE -> TEXT2 flow, where 1 and 2 denote text before and after the table, respectively.

PROBLEM:  The table, which should remain unbroken across pages, moves (page breaks) to the page following TEXT1, causing a large blank space after TEXT1.

DESIRE: To achieve a TEXT1-TEXT2 continuous flow, with the TABLE on an isolated page. 
      For example, the text stream flows from Page 100 to Page 102, and the Table is on Page 101.

QUESTION: (a) Can this be accomplished?  (a) If so, can it be accomplished in a manner in which the Table follows the Text, perchance additional material be added upstream?

• 1. Re: Layout:  Table on Isolated Page, Text Flow Around
          Grant H Level 4

instead of running the table in the text: create an anchored oblect and paste table into that and fix to page: Text wrap an all that...

G

• 2. Re: Layout:  Table on Isolated Page, Text Flow Around
            Obenreizer Level 1

Thanks Grant H.

If I may, let me tell you what I did, and confirm this is the best way to have achieved the result. (Possibly, the details might proved useful to another InDesign novice--providing I have not butchered your recommendation too badly)

[1] I took your advise, and inserted the table into an Object, as text. (A pleasant surprise:  the Table remains editable.)

[2] To get the Table to roll to the next page, and have TEXT2 close with TEXT1, settings included:

Anchored Object Option = Custom

X relative to Text Frame

Y relative to Column Edge (FYI:  I needed to use this setting to prevent the Table from shifting when upstream text is deleted.)

[3] Then, to get the TEXT2 portion which followed the table, to flow past the page containing the Table, I expanded (dragged) the Object box to fill the page. 

Seems to work.  If there is a better ("cleaner") way, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Layout:  Table on Isolated Page, Text Flow Around
              Grant H Level 4

personaly i would split the text frame as need be and have the table on its own... more elegant.

G