7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2011 4:17 PM by h2ofun

Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file

h2ofun Level 1

Okay, I have some HDV mpeg files which play fine with players like WMP.  But, when I bring them into CS5.5 I have found the audio has glitched

out of sync with the video, some times by the end, by a huge amount.  These files are about 5 hours in length.

Now, if I pull the exact same mpeg file into CS5, it is 100% fine with audio sync to the video.

So, now that I have lost a ton of work, what gives?  I thought 5.5 was supposed to have fixed stuff, not made new bugs?

:O(

Dave

• 1. Re: Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Did you use these files in CS5 before you installed CS5.5?  If so, try deleting the .cfa, .pek, .mpgindex and .xmp files associated with the video files.  Those are just cache files that will be regenerated by CS5.5 as required.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file
            h2ofun Level 1

I totally deleted all the cache files.  No change, when I use the mpeg in CS5.5, it audio syncs.  Same exact mpeg file in CS5, works fine.

Mpeg file plays find in players like WMP.

Dave

• 3. Re: Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file
              h2ofun Level 1

Well, this it is what I have found.  With my HDV tapes, when I copied them over to a full sized HDV tape, either in this copy or on the original small HDV tapes, the video would glitch once in a while.  (I would see this message after the indexing/conforming was done but never worried about it.) In all cases, there would be a video/audio sync issue caused.  Depending on how many of these were on my full sized 4:40 hr HDV tape, the video/audio got real out of sync.  So I had to go back and cut to get them to line up, then sent a new complete project out to tape.

Now, with my AVCHD stuff, I have yet to see anything like the issues with HDV.  Since I sold me HDV camera and went to AVCHD, I hope to NEVER see this issue again.  Sure cost me LOTS of time and energy.

Dave

• 4. Re: Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I suspect that it was your tape based camera the was causing the glitches.  I had the same problem several years ago and had to have the camera overhauled.  Since you got rid of the camera you will not see that problem again.

• 5. Re: Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file
                  h2ofun Level 1

Bill, not sure what the root cause was, but just want to let folks know that if they see the red error box in the bottom right corner after indexing and conforming, they should get to those frames, and see what was going on. In all my causes, there were video glitches that had to be dealt with or the audio was out of sync.

Does not really matter what version of the sw finds the issues, they are still issues.  Yep, other s/w I used to play the original files with the glitches ignored them and played fine.  Just hope this saves some others the time and effort I lost learning this lesson the hard way.

• 6. Re: Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file
                    Spetznas

Dave, thanks for your input. I supected the HDV tapes also but ruled that out by recording to Compact Flash media and still having the same issue. What concerns me is that the original footage files play without problems in other players and other editing software. It's appears primarily a Premiere glitch.

• 7. Re: Audio sync with 5.5, 5.0 okay, mpeg file
                      h2ofun Level 1

I agree one could look at if as a Premiere glitch, since I could play the files fine in other players also.  BUT, when I did a frame by frame look, I saw the video glitch at various places it had seen, and it would put in about 12 frame sync issues per glitch.  So, should premiere ignore these?  I just cut them out, fixed the audio to video, and saved this back to my tape I had gotten the video from.  Problem solved no matter what I use on it now.

Dave