6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 2:55 PM by Steve Grisetti

Is premiere elements what I want?

R0wdyates

Hi all,

I've been a user of Photoshop Elements for many years, using it to download my photos and then catalog them, being able to search and group them in the organiser is great.

I also have a camcorder but never really done much with the footage, I had tried Pinnacle software many years ago but that didn't amount to much, I have a number of tapes I've created (Sony PC100E DV camcorder) and ideally would like to get my tapes copied to a hard drive so I can make sure I have back ups (some of my older Hi8 tapes I now have trouble playing so want to capture my DV tapes as a start). Having read about Premiere Elements I've downloaded the trial version, thinking I could use this for my video in the same way as I use Photoshop Elements to download my photos, but it doesn't seem that straight forward. From what I can see I would have to capure the tapes using the get media button but do it as part of a project. So my question is should I be looking at Premiere Elements to capture my footage for back up purposes and if this is the case then does it capture the tape in full, not just a low quality version? I realise the software gives the ability to edit and manipulate fooage but at the moment this is secondary to just getting backups.

Thanks for any comments.

Keith

• 1. Re: Is premiere elements what I want?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements will not only capture your miniDV video at full quality -- it pretty much streams the data as is from the tape. So the quality of the video is identical to the original.

As for analog and Hi8, tape, if you use a DV bridge (as we recommend in our FAQs http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0 ) or a Digital8 camcorder to digitize your video, as DV-AVIs, it will be about as close to the original as is possible. So you're okay there too.

As for using the program, why not start with my free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com? They should help you see if this is the program for you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Then, if you really want to learn the program inside and out, check out my books.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

They'll answer almost any question you might have in easy step-by-step instruction. And, of course, you've got the author (me) right here and on Muvipix.com several times a day to help you with what the books don't make clear!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is premiere elements what I want?
            nealeh Level 5

R0wdyates wrote:

So my question is should I be looking at Premiere Elements to capture my footage for back up purposes and if this is the case then does it capture the tape in full, not just a low quality version?

PRE (and some other capture software) can sometimes stop the capture if there is a break on the tape. I use Exsate DV Capture Live and WinDV. They can capture an entire tape as DV-AVI Type 2 ignoring any interference that can cause other software to stop recording. WinDV does not play the sound during capture (but it IS capturing it). Exsate plays the sound during capture but has a tiny preview screen that you cannot resize.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is premiere elements what I want?
              R0wdyates Level 1

Thanks for the replies, been playing a bit and managed to capture stuff as I want, will take a look at the software alternatives just for completeness. One other question, when I capture the displayed image on the PC has jaggies like in the picture yet the original is ok, I assume I've got some setting wrong somewhwer but no idea where.  Any ideas.

Hand.jpg

Keith

• 4. Re: Is premiere elements what I want?

As I said in my first post, this will not happen if you use a true DV bridge, like ADS Pyro AV Link or the Canopus capture device.

If this is happening with your miniDV captured over FireWire and you have your project set up for DV, it may just be that the quality level of your monitor is set too low. Right-click on the image on your Monitor and change the quality settings to Best.

But, because video and computers compose their video frames in two very different ways, there will always be a little bit of this interlacing in your preview. It should not show up on your final output however.

• 5. Re: Is premiere elements what I want?
                  R0wdyates Level 1

Hi Steve,

This was captured from my DV camcorder not analogue, monitor settings are on the highest possible as far as I can see. When you say final output do you mean when clips have benn edited on the timeline and then finally exported to whatever format. Initiall I was kind of thinking that capturing all my tapes via premiere and having them in th eorganiser would allow me to watch any of them without further processing.

Keith

• 6. Re: Is premiere elements what I want?

Yes. And they should look pretty good in the Organizer.

However, television video is interlaced while computer video (WMVs, MOVs, etc.) is not. So, although video player software does compensate to some extent for interlacing in captured video, it's going to be there to some extent.

But, in the Organizer or in the Windows Media Player, it shouldn't look nearly as pronounced as it does in your screen capture.

Give it a try and let us know if that's not the case.