4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 4:42 PM by flashscape

Flash CSS5.5 has answer to Safari?

flashscape

Flash CS5.5 - do i have this right? As of now there is not a work around to get a fla published and somehow playing on a iOS mobile browser? We can publish apps as iOS developers but not have a flash swf + some work around to have our sites play in Safari? So frustrating. If there is an answer please point me there.

• 1. Re: Flash CSS5.5 has answer to Safari?
          Tareq AlJaber Employee Moderator

Hi There,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Not allowing access to online Flash content on iOS devices through the browser is what apple decided to do and not a problem that Adobe can fix. The workaround is to use "Wallaby" which the codename for an experimental technology that converts the artwork and animation contained in Adobe® Flash® Professional (FLA) files into HTML. This allows you to reuse and extend the reach of your content to devices that do not support the Flash runtimes. Once these files are converted to HTML, you can edit them with an HTML editing tool, such asAdobe Dreamweaver®, or by hand if desired. You can view the output in one of the supported browsers or on an iOS device.

Thanks,

tareq

• 2. Re: Flash CSS5.5 has answer to Safari?
            flashscape Level 1

Thank you for the information on Wallaby. I will look more into it and try it. At the moment it just seems to be another work around and won't get the real core of Flash interactivity done. I guess I am  just looking for a simple solution from my point of view ---> Apple and Safari to allow the Flash player.  Are there any rumors of browser substitution that anyone knows?   HTML 5 is good but doesn't do it all. In what direction or combination of directions are other Flash developers in this audience gravitating?

Begin forwarded message:

Date: June 14, 2011 10:53:28 AM PDT

To: elaine dunn <elainedunn@cox.net>

Subject: Flash CSS5.5 has answer to Safari?

Reply-To: clearspace-1033296331-1062800-2-3738938@mail.forums.adobe.com

Hi There,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Not allowing access to online Flash content on iOS devices through the browser is what apple decided to do and not a problem that Adobe can fix. The workaround is to use "Wallaby" which the codename for an experimental technology that converts the artwork and animation contained in http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/ (FLA) files into HTML. This allows you to reuse and extend the reach of your content to devices that do not support the Flash runtimes. Once these files are converted to HTML, you can edit them with an HTML editing tool, such ashttp://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/, or by hand if desired. You can view the output in one of the supported browsers or on an iOS device.

Thanks,

tareq

>

• 3. Re: Flash CSS5.5 has answer to Safari?
              Tareq AlJaber Employee Moderator

Hi There,

What Flash can do, HTML5 needs another 20 years to be able to do. The plan for HTML5 is to be standarized by 2020 i guess . So you can imagine all the compatibility problems that comes with HTML5,  where is Flash is a solution where you develop once publish everywhere.

Thanks,

tareq

• 4. Re: Flash CSS5.5 has answer to Safari?
                flashscape Level 1

you bet! I would be curious to see where other Flash Designers/ Producers are going to focus.