3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 4:37 PM by Linda Nicholls

How to modify symbol button to affect all states at once?

tordenver Level 1

Hello,

I have created a symbol button with 4 different states. The button includes a rectangular background and text. The size of my rectangular background is slightly bigger than my text.

Now I want to create similar buttons with different text length, but still keeping the same look and the same states.

What is the best way to go about this?

What I tried is to duplicate my button and changed the text. Unfortunately it does not change the text at the different states level. How about changing the size of the rectangle so that it is changed at all states level?

Thank you

• 1. Re: How to modify symbol button to affect all states at once?
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Apply 9-slice scaling to the rectangle when you create the button. That will enable you to change its dimensions without distorting it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to modify symbol button to affect all states at once?
            tordenver Level 1

Thank you Linda for your help. Now I think I understand for changing the scale.

I still have no answers for modifying a symbol and its states for only one instance.

I understand if I want to make a symbol button different without affecting all the instances of that symbol, I have to break it apart. The only problem then is that I loose all my states for that symbol.

My question: how can I retain the different states of a button and still be able to make it different than other instances? is it even possible?

Again what I am trying to achieve is to build a button model with different states, and then modify the text and its size with the least work possible; should I use a different method for that than using a symbol button?

Thanks,

David

• 3. Re: How to modify symbol button to affect all states at once?
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

If you apply 9-slice scaling and center the text, you can change the character length of the text and the button width without changing all of the symbols on the page. If you want to change the colors or font to different ones for a single buttion instance, you can't. Symbols don't work that way. The solution is to create a second symbol type. Alternatively, create buttons manually rather than using the button wizard. You do that by creating the up, over, etc. states in the States panel, adding a slice to the up state, and then applying swap image behaviors to each state.