6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 12:50 AM by claire_s

"Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger"

claire_s

Hi,

I've been  wrestling with a problem which I need assistence with. My Mac HD file  system was corrupted and my laptop would not boot so I reformatted and  reinstalled the OS.

I reinstalled my version of FB 4.0 and  our project source from our source tree and the SDK and Air overlayed  file which we also store in our source tree. When I point FB to the  existing project and to the sdk files, when I try to launch I get the  error "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger".

This  is a project and sdk framework which was previously working and works  on other people's systems, and on my Windows system. I can't figure out  what is wrong with my Mac system. I figure it has to be other installed  components like Air or Flash debug version. I've tried uninstalling and  reinstalling the Flash version. The Air version I had installed on the  system originally is no longer available. Here are the project details:

Flex version: 4.1.0.16076

Air version: 2.5

My descriptor.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
      <application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.0" minimumPatchLevel="17730">

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Claire

Just wanted to add, I used this site to determine I have Flash Builder version 10.3.181.14 (Debug Player):

http://flashbuilder.eu/flash-player-version.html

• 1. Re: "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger"
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

You can't debug AIR apps or Web apps or both?  Even with a new simple

project?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger"
            claire_s Level 1

Hi Alex,

I appreciate the response, thanks!

I can debug Flex apps, it is only Air apps, and only apps (even a simple app) built with my

Flex version: 4.1.0.16076  Air version: 2.5 sdk. If I use the installed sdk it is fine.

I suppose this is an Air issue. I posted in that forum as well.

Claire

• 3. Re: "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger"

Try getting things running from the command line.  I use the following on my

mac:

export FLEX_HOME=~/work/flex/sdk/branches/4.x

$FLEX_HOME/bin/adl -runtime $FLEX_HOME/runtimes/air/mac $1-app.xml

Set FLEX_HOME to some SDK and pass in the root of an -app.xml file and see

what happens.  Make sure AIR is in the runtimes folder.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger"
                claire_s Level 1

Thank you for the help.

When I first tried the command line I got an error so I exported the sdk from SVN instead of getting it.

With the exported sdk I didn't get any errors on the command line, I  don't get any feedback, but I still get the error when I launch the app  in the debugger. My next step is to ask a co-worker to zip their sdk and  email it to me for me to try.  Unless you have some more suggestions.

Now I recall that I downloaded the sdk and Air from Adobe because of troubles with getting from SVN.

This is what my command line looked like.

MacBook-Pro:~ claires$ export FLEX_HOME=~/dev/4.1.0.16076
                MacBook-Pro:~ claires$ $FLEX_HOME/bin/adl -runtime $FLEX_HOME/runtimes/air/mac $1-app.xml
                MacBook-Pro:~ claires$

• 5. Re: "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger"

Let's say I have a simple AIR project call ClaireTest that is stored in

~/projects/ClaireTest.  By default, in the bin-debug folder, there should be

a ClaireTest.SWF and ClaireTest-app.xml.

The lines I posted are from a bash shell script I use to run the AIR app.

Suppose I called the shell script db.sh.  Then I would type:

./db.sh ~/projects/ClaireTest/bin-debug/ClaireTest

Which would resolve to a shell command like:

~/dev/4.1.0.16076/bin/adl -runtime ~/dev/4.1.0.16076/runtimes/air/mac

~/projects/ClaireTest/bin-debug/ClaireTest-app.xml

This should launch your app without the debugger hooking up to it.  If you

get that far, open another Terminal window, and type:

~/dev/4.1.0.16076/bin/fdb

This should run the command line debugger.  At the prompt type 'r' and hit

Enter.  The debugger should say it is waiting to connect.  In the other

Terminal window, try to run the app again and see if the command line

debugger hooks up.

This will tell us if most of the pieces are installed correctly.  Then if

the FlashBuilder graphical debugger still can't connect, then it is a

FlashBuilder issue of some sort.

If there are missing pieces, you'll get errors along the way and we can try

to figure out what went wrong.

And if the command line debugger works but the graphical one doesn't, at

least you'll have a way to debug.  Personally, I believe I am way faster at

finding most problems with the command line debugger than the graphical one.

• 6. Re: "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger"
                    claire_s Level 1

Alex, this really helped. What I found is that I didn't have a good  install of the sdk. I forfeited the install on our server through svn and  downloaded Flex 4.1 and Air 2.5 onto my Mac and overlayed the Air files and  found the problem was gone. Figuring out the pieces where not all there  was the key to resolving the problem.

So, my word to anyone who sees "Process terminated without establishing connection to debugger" and can't figure it, if they keep their sdk files in source control, try downloading the sdk directly from the Adobe and rule out any problem which may be created by svn.

Yay, I am truly grateful this is solved.