16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 11:19 PM by Keith Moreau

How to skip frames?

77mrd Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have most footage shot in 24 fps, but some in 30fps. How can I make the 30fps footage skip 6 frame each second, thus, making the 30fps play only 24 frames per second?  

This skipping would be ideal if it were spread out. What I mean is, after every 6 frames, it should skip 1 frame.

I can go in and manually delete a frame each 6 frames, but that would take FOREVER!!

Thanks for the time!

Dave

• 1. Re: How to skip frames?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you really sure that you want to drop those frames?

Why not just put your 30fps footage into a 24fps sequence and let Premiere Pro take care of the frame interpolation for you?

• 2. Re: How to skip frames?
            shooternz Level 6
            I have most footage shot in 24 fps, but some in 30fps. How can I make the 30fps footage skip 6 frame each second, thus, making the 30fps play only 24 frames per second?

Listen to Todd ...( who was being very subtle with his "correct" advice)

• 3. Re: How to skip frames?
              77mrd Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply, however I want to explain a bit further:

When I add a 30 fps clip to a 24fps timeline, it makes it slow mo. it only plays 24 of those 30 frames in one second. and the remaining 6 frames of the 30fps clip are played in the next second of the timeline, and so on and so forth.

For example, if it takes me 10 seconds to walk from the bathroom to the bedroom in 24fps, when I play it in 30 fps(in a 24fps timeline, of course), it will take me like 12 or so seconds. This is just an example.

Maybe I am using premiere wrong?  I am going to try it again....

I only say this because I've tried numerous times and i keep getting off footage. My iPhone records in 30 fps and my HD camera records in 24...

• 4. Re: How to skip frames?
                77mrd Level 1

I just tried it again, same issue! I am updated to 5.5 by the way.

• 5. Re: How to skip frames?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

My iPhone records in 30 fps and my HD camera records in 24...

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/brick-wall-017.gif

The solution here is to stop using your phone as anything but a phone.  Stick to using real video cameras when you want video.

• 6. Re: How to skip frames?
                    TradeWind Level 3

Right click on the clip(s) in the project bin and choose Modify > Interpret Footage

You should be able to set the clip to 24 frames per second.

I'm not sure why it's working this way for you. When I use 720p60 footage in a 720p24 timeline, it is automatic for me. I don't make any adjustments, nor do I end up with slo-mo footage playback.

For the record, the video recorded on an iPhone 4 (and some other modern smartphones) is quite good, far superior to most broadcast quality camcorders from 10 years ago. Amazing technology (even though I dislike Apple and wouldn't purchase an iPhone personally). My Samsung Captivate records great video, and it has been a very handy surveillance cam for some recent projects.

For a few hundred bucks, you could even buy a used iPhone 4 off-network and use it as a pocket HD cam. Couldn't do that even 5 years ago.

• 7. Re: How to skip frames?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      When I use 720p60 footage in a 720p24 timeline [I do not] end up with slo-mo footage playback.

That's weird.  Seems like you should.

• 8. Re: How to skip frames?
                        TradeWind Level 3

I'm guessing the lovely folks at Adobe assumed that the default "most-of-the-time" operation an editor would want is for footage to playback in real-time unless specifically directed otherwise.

But yeah, that's the way it works...you can, of course, stretch the footage out as you please and acheive the gorgeous slo-mo effects.

• 9. Re: How to skip frames?
                          77mrd Level 1

Hmm. I tried that, too.

Since some of you are saying it works automatically for you, I am beginning to think it is the format the iPhone records in which is giving issues.

I don't see why Premiere wouldn't be able to do what I need in that aspect, so I conclude it has to be an iPhone format/codec or whatever issue. I guess it just wont work.

If anyone else has experience with 30fps iphone footage, let me know.

Thanks for the time,

Dave

• 10. Re: How to skip frames?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Adobe assumed that the default "most-of-the-time" operation an editor would want is for footage to playback in real-time

After interpretation?  That seems unlikely.  The whole point of Interpreting to a different frame rate is to end up with slower or faster footage without interpolating any new frames, using only the frames that are actually in the footage.  If that's not happening, it sounds more like a bug to me.

• 11. Re: How to skip frames?
                              TradeWind Level 3

Couldn't tell you whether the operation I'm seeing is a bug or the intended operation...perhaps Todd Kopriva can chime in on that.

What I do know is that it's common for me to be working with different frame rates on the same timeline, and I'm satisfied with the current operation - bug or not.

In a recent sequence, I had 30p, 24p, 60i and 60p all on the same 30p timeline. Just different camera sources (and no, I don't often encounter THAT many frame rates all at once). All I had to do was drop it all on the timeline and it played back at normal speed. I'm glad I didn't have to individually interpret footage for each clip because it would have been time consuming and would have caused trouble for sequences in the same project that used some of the same footage items at a different sequence frame rate.

Thinking about it this way, if I dropped 60p footage into a 30p timeline and the 60p footage played back at 1/2 speed by default, my audio would be sllloowwww as well. Again, maybe this is the way it's "supposed" to work, and there's a bug at play, but I personally won't be filing a bug report because the way it currently works for me is the way I like it. And in the rare instance I want slo-mo effect, I rarely do an actual 1/2 slo-mo anyway. Usually it's closer to 75%, so it wouldn't really save me any time if it defaulted to a frame-for-frame timeline playback on all clips.

Maybe instead of bug report, I need to file a "bug approval" for this one.

• 12. Re: How to skip frames?
                                anuraggrwl Level 2

Workaround -

Create a sequence from your Media / Footage that is 30 fps and then Export it as 24 fps, you can do it by customising the preset by changing the codec and frame rate. I would suggest to choose uncompressed Microsoft avi with use maximum render quality option so that you don’t lose too much on quality…

You can then Import the exported 24 fps avi back in premiere, try this as workaround…

I am trying to download and replicate this issue, please upload and share one of the file for testing if possible…

• 13. Re: How to skip frames?
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I'm with Christian: handling of different frame rate footage on a single timeline is one of Premiere's very great strengths, IMHO.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: How to skip frames?
                                    TradeWind Level 3

I actually went to an AVID Media Composer event yesterday and watched them explain all the hoop-jumping that's required when working with mixed format and mixed frame rate footage. Long story short, it's really not at all simple and barely possible, and of course they recommend you transcode all your footage before importing anyway. "Native" support is a mixed bag, and it's better if you just make sure that all your footage is conformed before importing it to Media Composer.

Of course, Media Composer is designed for a somewhat higher end workflow where the source files generally all are one format anyway, but there were still some people in the audience who referenced Premiere Pro (and After Effects, Dynamic Link, etc) as a good mixed source editing solution. In fact, there seemed to be a bit of a Premiere Pro user base present, because they inquired as to whether or not AVID might open up their I/O hardware to 3rd party applications, "such as Premiere Pro." The answer was basically a "no" but it was a nervous response to be sure.

Who would have predicted a day when AVID representatives would have to defend themselves against Premiere Pro? Very strange.

And even more telling is that AVID is trying to position itself against Final Cut, which is the other big industry giant to be sure. But Final Cut supporters aren't leaving FCP for AVID, they're heading to Premiere Pro.

What a strange world. It will only get more interesting as FCPX comes around. Maybe.

Recently, some of my fellow editors on FCP were amazed at a few features they encountered when working in CS5 that have never been in FCP - one of them being the mixed format projects and timelines - and I explained that some of this stuff has been in Premiere Pro since CS3 and CS4. They were stunned that they had never heard anything really in-depth about Premiere Pro. I think it's unfortunate that so many people have written off PPro over the years without having actually tried it out or at least read up on it. I know some people were burned by Premiere before it gained the "Pro" designator in 2003 (or 2002?). But c'mon, that's almost 10 years ago. A long time in technology land, too long to just blindly cruise along as if nothing has changed outside the world of FCP.

Only yesterday was an editor trying to get my help loading some 720p60 AVCHD into FCP via Log & Transfer. It wasn't working, error messages, all that good stuff. After trying to help for a while, I said "just download the trial of CS5.5 and see if you can load it through the Media Browser, that way we can see if it's the footage or the NLE causing problems." She actually had a copy of Premiere Pro CS4 already loaded that came with the Creative Suite...she had just never bothered using it! When she opened it up and loaded the footage successfully, she asked "so that's it? Can I put this on the timeline with my 1080p24 P2 footage?" And I said "yup, just start editing." Her shock and awe cannot be put into words. Maybe we have a new convert on our hands.

• 15. Re: How to skip frames?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      if I dropped 60p footage into a 30p timeline and the 60p footage played back at 1/2 speed by default

No, no.  I'm talking about after Interpreting the footage, not the default behavior.  What happens if you interpret the 60p to 30p?  To my understanding, it should then play at a liquid smooth 50%.

Does it?

• 16. Re: How to skip frames?
                                        Keith Moreau Level 1

My experience is that PPro 5.0 and 5.5 on the Mac does not require presetting interpolation. PPro will attempt to play the footage back real time. If it's a 24P timeline it will do whatever to the original format to make it play back well in real time, it won't stretch it out to make it it 'slower' but if you put in a clip and want to make it slower, you can adjust the clip's speed and it will stretch it out. If you put, for example, 60P footage onto a 30P timeline and set the clip speed to 50%, it produces completely smooth slo mo.

I have put iPhone clips which seem to be 24P or 30P depending on the iPhone's mood on the timeline along with other FPS clips and I've never noticed any speeding up or slowing of the clips' playback.