2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 12:59 AM by jay fresno

list with circled and squared numbers/letters

jay fresno Level 1

I want to make a numbered list and an alpha list in InDesign CS5, that looks similar to this:

Untitled-1.png

The lists would include A, B, C, etc, and 1, 2, 3, etc.

I applied the numbered list property to the paragraphs. I'm able to create a character style for the letters/numbers in the list, that includes the color of the letters and numbers, but InDesign is not applying the underline property to the numbers. I need the underline property in order to add the colored square and circle.

I can do it with a non-numbered list, typing the letters/numbers by hand, but that is a hassle and time-consuming when I need to rearrange items in the lists.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: list with circled and squared numbers/letters
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There was a similar thread yesterday. It's not entirely clear if this is a bug (I think it is) or a feature since underlines are a character adornment, and automatic numbers are not recognized as characters in the same way as typed text, but the fact remains that underline and strikethrough don't work on numbers and bullets generated in a list.

You have a couple of options. One is to use a paragraph rule and set a huge right indent, but this doesn't work too well for multi-digit numbers, nor do I think that it works all that well with letters in a proportional font.

A second option would be to find a font with the circles or squares built into the characters and use it as part of a character style applied to the numbers. I think this is the best solution, but it may not give you the colors that you want if you need solid digits on a colored background.

A third option might be to use an anchored object positioned behind the numbers. This has the most flexibility, I think.

• 2. Re: list with circled and squared numbers/letters
            jay fresno Level 1

Peter,

Thank you so much for sharing your insights. You have saved me a lot of work. I decided to use your third suggestion.