11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 7:50 PM by progressivemi

Import avhcd full hd 1080p

wamhub

Hello,

I've purchased a Sony camcorder HDR-CX160E which is capable of filming avhcd full hd resolution 1920x1080 at 50 frames per second, 50p. When i start a new project in Premiere Elements 9 i only have the option to select avhcd full hd resolution 1920x1080 at 25 frames per second, 50i. A little test proved that i can import material filmed at 50p from my sdhc card but i'm afraid that i won't be able to export it to blu-ray properly. As i don't have a blu-ray writer yet, i can't test it. Does anyone have any experience with importing 50p material in Premiere Elements 9 and exporting it to blu-ray? I'm completely new to Premiere Elements as i used to work with Pinnacle Studio in the past. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
          Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Elements, like virtually all consumer video editing software, does not offer support for 1920x1080 at 50p. (It does at 1280x720.) Even Pinnacle's software produces only a hybrid format for this type of video.

If you want to edit your full AVCHD video in Premiere Elements, you will need to shoot it in 50i (25 fps).

Loading 50p AVCHD into Premiere Elements often leads to rendering issues.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
            Ted Smith Level 3

1900x1989i will produce a perfectly good Blue Ray result except that, if you burn the BD disk with PE9 you must make sure you do not burn the disk at a speed higher than the blank disk is capable of otherwise it wont play in some players.

PE9 doesnt have the option of setting the burning slow so many people use another cheap program like Sony Architect or Cyberlink Power Producer to author and burn the edited file from PE9.

4x BD disks are cheaper but BD burners these days start at 8x.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
              Ted Smith Level 3

The debate about progressive and interlace quality is virtually dead. Progressive just uses more bandwidth.

If you have a good 100+hz TV like a Sony Bravia you cant see ANY difference between progressive and interlaced because the TV engine completely hides it.

• 4. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                wamhub Level 1

Wow, thanks for your quick reply. This is realy helpfull. Have a nice day.

• 5. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                  wamhub Level 1

Wow, thanks for the additional information. This is realy helping me make the right choice. Have a nice day.

• 6. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                    Ted Smith Level 3

Is your camera really shooting at 50 frames or 50 fields? These are different things.

In 50p and 50i there are the same number of 25 'frames" for both. They both have advantages and disadvantages for older TVs but they look identical if the picture is stationary.

The same number of pixels is shown in both every 25th second

As with film projection and old analog TV, each frame is repeated twice  (50 fields) to reduce flicker or 4 times with old 100hz Tv sets

50p means that a complete set of pixels is repeated twice every 50th second, frame 1 being the same as frame 2, frame 3 being the same as frame 4 and so on. A 100hz TV will repeat each frame 4 times.

50i means only half the pixels are shown every 50th second, each frame being shifter down by one pixel height so only half the pixels are shown at a time quicker than the eye can detect. Frame 1 contains line 1 & 3 and so on and frame 2 contaims lines 2 & 4 and so on.

With moving objects 50i can give a jagged affect to moving vertical lines if the TV set has a cheap or no processor to counter it but can also soften the "moving in jumps" effect when viewed at a further distance from the screen. Interlace (i) means only half the bandwith is needed so in TV you can have twice the resolution for the same transmission money.

With moving objects 50p can accentuate the jumping because each frame is more clearly defined. Usually a HD 50p picture is softer because a max of 720 lines is available as 100% more bandwidth is needed for the same reason.

If you examine old movies frame by frames you will see they made sure there was a blurring movement on all moving objects by having the shutter of the camera open as long as possible between frames. This reduces the "moving in jumps effect" when played back.

On the other hand if you shoot with a fast shutter so you can select freeze frames or with frame by frame animation , then you will get jumps on movement when shown at normal speed unless your TV processor can smooth them over by taking an average of pixels.

As an aside -

As an Australian that has grown up with 50hz Tv I never did notice the 50hz flicker except out of the corner of my eye where fast motion is more noticable. Many Americans who visit do see it clearly because they are used to 60hz.

In Australia & Euurope most people ran their old CRT computer screens around 70hz which looks completely flicker free to me.

• 7. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                      wamhub Level 1

Hello,

I'm not certain.

Here is some information from the Sony site for this camera:

On page 36 of the manual the recording modes are explained and there is this line: [PS] can be set only when [ Frame Rate] is set to [50p].

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4271479111.pdf

Filmresolution

HD: 1920 x 1080/50p, 50i (FX, FH), 1440 x 1080/50i (HQ, LP) STD: 720 x 576/50i

Film recordingspeed (average bitrate/VBR)

HD PS: circa 28 Mbps/FX: circa 24 Mbps/FH: circa17 Mbps/HQ: circa 9 Mbps/LP: circa 5 Mbps

• 8. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should only be shooting in FX or FH mode, and then setting Premiere Elements up for 1920x1080 AVCHD.

• 9. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                          Ted Smith Level 3

I use 1920,1080 50i  FH mode. Makes beautiful BD's.with PE9

See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1243508.html and many other comments on Google.

• 10. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                            progressivemi

I use a Panasonic TM700 and shoot sports at 1080p, then edit in Adobe Premiere Elements 9, and burn a normal DVD first. The quality of the DVD is acceptable, but not up to the quality of the original film clips. Then, using the same edited video that made the DVD, I burn a Blue-ray HD DVD. The final quality is almost as good as the origional TM700 clips. Amazing quality and color, although you need a blue-ray player and a 1080p HD TV to see it.

Thing is, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, COULD, let you assemble in 1080p, and burn a 15 or 20 min movie on a normal DVD burner, to then play it on a HD 1080p TV, because as Corel Video Studio lets you do just that, then Elements could also do the same. But the video editors don't want to give you the option.

I think they are short sighted to block this option because, as the quality of 1080p is so much better than 1080i, that video editors can't hold back this progress for much longer.

• 11. Re: Import avhcd full hd 1080p
                              progressivemi Level 1

With respect, the old TV's could only show interlace, 2 fields making 1 frame, but the HD TV's can show broadcast interlace, or 1080p progressive, each frame a complet video picture. If anyone wants to know or see the difference between 1080i and 1080p just have a look at the quality of the 1080p cameras. Ten years ago, when cameras used tape, the quality of the video was superior to 1080i, and since then camera manufactuers have tried to tell the public that 1080i was just as good. It's just not as good. Period. That's why sports, shot at 720p is superior to sports shot at 1080i. Your right, the debate is over - 1080i lost.