2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 8:02 AM by Todd_Kopriva

After Effects crashes everytime I use Timecode

acrozier

I have Version 10.0.1.19 running on windows 7 64bit with 8Gbs of RAM.  Everytime I try to add a timecode effect to a wmv and export the file After Effects crashes half way through export.

• 1. Re: After Effects crashes everytime I use Timecode
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Install the CS5 (10.0.2) update and try again.

Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Are you rendering with OpenGL? Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

• 2. Re: After Effects crashes everytime I use Timecode
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

The first thing you should do is update to 10.0.2 or higher... AE may be up to 10.0.3.  Anyway, it's easy and it's free; go Help>Update.  Make sure you turn off any antivirus or firewall software before you do it.

Second, I'm not a big fan of using Windows Media in AE.  If the update doesn't help, you might consider converting that file to an lossless or uncompressed AVI.  I think converting it to a Quicktime movie in the PNG codec would be even better.

Third -- and you might be surprised by this -- but 8 gigs isn't exactly a boatload of RAM in AE for multiprocessing.  What happens when you turn off multiprocessing?