2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 7:37 AM by peter minneapolis

Best Practice - how to populate print & digital layout template

[spacecowboy]

Greetings,

I'm new at this so not even sure what to put as the title. Let me know if I should update it to something clearer.

I need to create a small booklet that consists of personal profile pages. I imagine I can design a template layout in InDesign and then populate the fields with data from a form. Something like a mail merge in Word. Is this possible? Can I send out PDF forms to people and then use the forms to populate the InDesign template?

I would also like to have the data feed a separate layout for a digital booklet mobile app. What software would be able to do that?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and assistance.

• 1. Re: Best Practice - how to populate print & digital layout template
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Given a spreadsheet of data, you can produce multiple similar InDesign pages with variant data. See the help for Data merge.

I dont' know about PDF forms. I mean, certainly you can can send out PDF forms and I'm sure you can get the PDF form result data into a spreadsheet, it would be fairly useless otherwise...but perhaps someone else can offer specifics.

• 2. Re: Best Practice - how to populate print & digital layout template
            peter minneapolis Level 4

[spacecowboy] wrote:

Greetings,

I'm new at this so not even sure what to put as the title. Let me know if I should update it to something clearer.

I need to create a small booklet that consists of personal profile pages. I imagine I can design a template layout in InDesign and then populate the fields with data from a form. Something like a mail merge in Word. Is this possible? Can I send out PDF forms to people and then use the forms to populate the InDesign template?

I would also like to have the data feed a separate layout for a digital booklet mobile app. What software would be able to do that?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and assistance.

You can design forms in Acrobat that have a submit button that sends the collected data to a receiving server where a script does the processing. You can also specify that the data is extracted and sent via email to a recipient. Search Google for terms like "acrobat retrieve data from pdf manage forms data spreadsheet" without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices